Chapter Three

~Abby~

"Remind me again why you brought her here?"

"It seemed like my only option!"

Male voices filtered through the fog in her brain, but she didn't know who they belonged to. Her lids weighed a hundred pounds, she couldn't get them to open. Where was she? The last thing she remembered was arriving in the cemetery outside of town. And who were the people talking around her? Was she in a hospital or something?

"Wesley, if she really is a -"

"You know she is. You can smell it on her as well as I can."

Smell what on her? She hadn't taken a shower that morning, but there was no way she smelled bad. She had to get up, but when she tried to move, her body wasn't listening. Her limbs were heavy and thick, her eyes refused to open.

"Alex, I've never met a witch with this kind of power signature. But I know you have. I know you can sense it too...if her magic smells this strongly, she has to be -"

"Enough, Wesley. I know very well what this could mean."

Witch? Whoa, what the hell was going on? Who were these people? Where the hell was she? Movement on her right turned to pressure on the bed beside her leg. Someone sat down. A moment later she felt a damp cloth rest on her forehead.

"Would you two shut up?" That was a female voice, "The poor girl is trying to wake-up, but you two blabbermouths are being too loud to notice."

Slowly, squinting in the dim room, Abby's eyes finally listened to her. A teenage girl with long blonde hair sat beside her, a small smile and calming brown eyes looked at her. Her face was rounder than Abby's, as if her body was still holding onto childhood. The damp cloth she felt on her forehead moments before was sitting limp in the girl's hand.

"Hi, gorgeous. My name is Tori, how are you feeling?" She smiled warmly, setting the damp cloth on the nightstand beside the bed. Half expecting a doctor twice her age to be looking down at her, Tori's kind face was a bit of a shock. Squeezing her eyes tight, trying to clear them of the remaining fog, Abby shook her head.

"Uhhh," Abby lifted a hand to her head -- man did it hurt. She had enough migraines in the last few weeks to know when one was imminent. Great, just what she needed. She tried clearing her throat, her tongue feeling as heavy as her body did. "Okay...head hurts."

Tori looked concerned, her brows pinched tight. Picking up a small glass of water, she reached forward and helped Abby sit up enough to take a small sip. "Here, this might help."

Tori turned her head away from Abby, "I thought you said you caught her before she hit her head."

"I did! If you just blacked out, I'd bet you'd have a headache too!" The man standing by the end of the bed, arms crossed, looked vaguely familiar. He had dark scruffy hair, a little curly here and there. Tanned skin contrasted against the red flannel shirt he wore, sleeves rolled up. He was too far away for her to see his face clearly.

"Both of you, enough. Wesley, keep your voice down."

Abby leaned back into the fluffy pillows while the voices filled the room. Looking past Tori, Abby noticed another man standing off to the side of the bed, this one older than the first one. He had short-cut chocolate brown hair and a strong jawline. There was an aura of authority about him, in the way his thick arms were folded over his broad chest. But when Abby looked higher she found kind green eyes, a softer color than her own.

The younger man, Wesley, didn't take his eyes off her.

Well, she definitely wasn't in a hospital. Wood-covered walls surrounded her, a painting of the mountains hung behind Wesley's head. It looked like someone's bedroom, complete with a low dresser against the far wall and a closet on the other. She put her arms underneath her, trying to sit up and failing miserably. Her muscles had no strength in them. It felt like that time she had gotten the flu when she was twelve and had spent days on the couch unable to move.