Take My Hand

The pale yellow glow of the street light illuminated the road below. Despite the late hour, Cora could still here laughter and chatter and she wished she could join them. The warm July breeze made it the perfect environment and for a moment the party was forgotten. How could her mother think that Cora could find a suitable husband here? They arrived two weeks ago and since then her days were filled with dancing with eligible bachelors old enough to be her father. All Cora wanted now was to go home, back to the New York life she was accustomed to. She felt tears forming in her eyes. The large droplets of water falling from the sky did not help lighten her mood. To Cora's surprise, she heard someone join her on the balcony. Blinking away her tears, she turned around to put a face to the stranger. What she saw was a young man, not much older than herself, who seemed just as surprised at she was to find someone else in this secluded place.
"I am sorry. I don't mean to interrupt. I didn't realise there was anyone else here," he uttered quickly before adding "I'll leave you alone," and turning to leave.
"No wait!" Cora surprised even herself. Perhaps it was the surprise of finding someone her age, but she knew she wanted to talk to him more. "I wouldn't want to monopolise the balcony and you look like you need some fresh air," she added quickly, trying to explain her previous outburst, but in retrospect, this sounded much better in her head than it did out loud. Cora may not have found someone to marry during her trip to London, but she definitely learned a thing or two about the English code of etiquette and speaking one's mind was on top of every 'don't do' list. For a moment they stood in awkward silence, neither of them knowing what to say next.
"I suppose I do. It is rather stuffy in there." Her frankness baffled him but it was certainly refreshing. "It's nice weather outside, isn't it?" He couldn't think of anything else to say and it only later occurred to him that it started to rain. Cora looked out towards the street. Goodness the English talked a lot about the weather! She thought, but as she considered the young man's observation, it dawned on her that in spite of the rain, this was the first time the city did not look miserable.
"It's not bad," she replied, moving her glaze to the man, who now stood next to her. If they are going to stand there, they were going to have to have better conversations than those about the weather, but since her companion remained silent, it was up to her to take the lead.
"Are you often in London?"
"Occasionally, but I wouldn't say often." Surprised by her lead but somehow desperate to know more about her, he asked her the same question.
"Oh no," Cora answered, not sure how much information to give,"this is actually my first time."
"Really? And what do you think of it?" Usually he found himself introverted and apprehensive when talking to women but somehow now it was easy, almost natural.
"Well honestly I think it's a little too quiet for my liking"
"Quiet? I wouldn't recommend the countryside then." This woman amazed him. Who finds London is quiet? "Where are you from then?"
"New York."
"Can't say I've ever been."
"It's a nice place, though I wouldn't recommend it if you dislike loud cities." Cora smiled, and for the first time in two weeks that smile was genuine. This was the first man she met during one of these balls who did not make her want to run away after every conversation, and even if this would be the last time they paths cross, she needed to know the name of the mysterious stranger who made her evening a little less dreadful.
"I don't believe we've been introduced yet."
"Right. I apologise. That was terribly rude of me. Robert Crawley." He was about to add the numerous titles that were attributed to him, but realised that he wanted at least one person to know him as a person and not a Lord.
"Cora Levinson." Then they heard the music finish in the ballroom. "I suppose we ought to go back inside."
"I guess you are right." Robert started heading towards the glass doors that separated the balcony and the ballroom when he stopped and looked back at Cora. "I don't suppose you are free for a dance?"
"As a matter of fact, I think I am." Honestly Cora had not idea, but there was no way she was going to pass a chance to dance with this Mr Crawley. She took his outstretched hand and they walked into the ballroom. As they walked inside, Cora could feel everyone's eyes turn to look at her and for the first time, she didn't care. The music started and the floor filled up with dancing couples.
"Do you know this tune?" Robert inquired, curious to find out more about his partner but still not adept at small talk.
"No, I'm afraid I don't." Cora noticed the change in his expression. He gave her a questioning look, as if her inability to answer such a simple question now made her an unqualified dance partner.
"It's The Blue Danube by Johann Strauss." After that, they danced in silence until the music stopped. Neither of them wanted the dance to end, but Cora could see her mother gesturing to her that it's time for them to leave.
"I think I have to go, but thank you for the wonderful dance." For a moment she looked into Robert's eyes, trying to decipher whether he was happy or sad to see her leave, and came to the conclusion that it was hopeless to try and tell an Englishman's emotions. She smiled at him one last time and followed her mother out of the building. Cora didn't talk during the ride back to the hotel, her conversations with Robert playing on repeat in her mind. This made Martha Levinson even more determined to find out more about this young man who had obviously left such an impression on her daughter.