13// Pacifica Southeast

You wake up thinking of Will and everything you learned last night. And your new mission to save him.

You write the dream in your dream journal — you've been doing that with all your dreams involving Will — and then get out of bed to start getting ready. Once you're dressed and ready, you scarf down a quick breakfast, give your mother a kiss on the cheek, and start towards the Mystery Shack.

What are you going to say to Dipper? Are you even going to ask for the dimension hopper? Your stomach flips at the thought of stealing from him after everything he's done for you. But if you told him, there's probably no way he'd let you go through with it. Stealing might be the only way.

And, despite not wanting to admit it to yourself, you're afraid of him taking over and going on the rescue mission himself and leaving you out of it. It'll be dangerous, but you're excited for the adventure of it all. He got to have adventures when he was your age, and Mabel, and Pacifica. Why not you, too?

Once you get down to the lab, you're immediately greeted by an enthusiastic Dipper. He's clutching the dimension hopper in his hands, holding it out excitedly. "Yasmin! Yasmin, it works!"

"R-really?" You're excited — that's one less danger for your rescue mission — but also apprehensive. It just gives you less time to figure out how you're going to get your hands on it.

"Yes! I just came back from the M dimension! And it was just as weird as Ford described," he added.

"And it went smoothly?"

"Yep! I just winked in, had a little celebration that it worked, and winked back out." He patted himself over. "I think I made it back all in one piece."

"That's awesome that it works!" you say, hoping you sound authentic and not like you're trying to hide something. Which you are.

He puts the dimension hopper down on a desk and grins at you. "Think your mom would let me take you on excursions with it?"

You stare at him in shock. Could it really be that easy?

He laughs, and you realize it was a joke. "I'm just kidding — of course she wouldn't!" He shrugs. "You could try, though. Anyway, for what we're going to do today. . ."

He starts looking around the area, then patting his trenchcoat pockets. "Oh," he says, slapping his hand to his forehead, "I left the Journal I was going to teach from upstairs. Just a second, I'll be right back. Think you'll be good down here?"

"Yeah, sure," you lie.

He gives you a thumbs-up and jogs from the room.

For a second you stand there in disbelief. Your opportunity came so fast! You glance over your shoulder and hurry to the desk, scooping the dimension hopper up into your hands. You look down at it.

Wait, how do you work this thing?

Instead of numbers like a calculator, the dimension hopper has letters, numbers, and a couple symbols on small keys. The screen area at the top says, Enter name of dimension.

Name of dimension. . . name of dimension! You don't know the name of Will's dimension!

You hurry over to the glass jar that holds Will and press your hand against it.

The surrounding area goes greyscale, and triangle Will appears inside the jar. "Will!" you say. "I have a chance to come now, but I don't have much time. What's the name of your dimension?"

Will doesn't answer for a moment from surprise, but he stutters out the name of his dimension. "A-are you really coming? Now?"

"That's the plan," you say. "I'll see you on the other side, my friend!"

You touch the glass again to exit the mindscape and grab the dimension hopper, punching in the name of the dimension to which you're travelling. You're just about to press Enter when you hesitate. Dipper at least deserves an explanation of some sort.

You put the dimension hopper down and grab a nearby notepad and pencil. I'm sorry, Dipper. Please don't fire me! I'm going on a rescue mission. I'll hopefully be back soon.

You write fast enough that you're not sure it's very legible. Oh well. He'll be back any minute, and you have to be gone by that time.

As you grab the dimension hopper, you hear footsteps. The dimension name has disappeared! It must've gone blank after you put the dimension hopper aside. You start to type it in again, trying to be fast —

"Yasmin? What are you doing?!"

You press Enter.

There's a flash of colors, swirling in a dizzying pattern, and then you're back out in the Mystery Shack. Only you're upstairs now, and the décor looks different. It must've worked!

You do a little happy dance, but then realize something. Even if you are in another dimension, how are you going to find Will? You don't know where his cell is! He's probably in town, since this is a parallel dimension and you know that Dipper and Mabel are here, but he might not be. He could be halfway around the world.

You suddenly hear pounding footsteps. The door bursts open. "Gideon, is that you!?"

Standing in front of you is a girl about your age with blonde hair high up in a ponytail and clothes from at least a couple decades ago. She deflates when she sees you. "Oh. Who are you?"

"Um," you say, stuffing the dimension hopper in your back pocket and holding out a hand, "Yasmin. Yasmin Larson."

The girl shakes your hand. "Pacifica Southeast. Are you a tourist? I don't recognize you, and I know everybody in this town."

You blink. Pacifica? That's right, Will said there was an alternate version of your mother around! That means you must be close to him!

"Y-yeah," you say. "I'm a tourist. Um, do you happen to know of Mabel Gleeful?"

Pacifica's face darkens. "Yeah. I know of Mabel, alright. And trust me, you're better off just staying away from her and her psychic show."

"O-oh. I, um, wasn't planning on going to her show." Should you tell this girl about your mission? From what Will said last night, she's an enemy of the Gleeful twins. "I'm — well, I'm not actually a tourist. I'm from another dimension."

Pacifica tilts her head. "Really? I mean, there are all sorts of weird things around here, so I wouldn't be surprised. But are you pulling my leg?"

"No. I'm here on a rescue mission. You know Will Cipher, right?"

"Will? Sure I do! He's been after us all summer!"

"Well, he's not doing it willingly. He's a captive of the Gleeful twins. And I'm here to rescue him."

Pacifica looks to be thinking this over. "Well. . . my friend Gideon disappeared yesterday, and I'm sure the Gleeful twins are behind it. I'm sure he and Will are in the same place, since they're both captives and all. Do you want to team up with me to go save them?"

A feeling of relief sweeps through you. You planned on doing this alone, but having backup would be a lot better than going solo. "Yes! I definitely would love to have a buddy."

Pacifica grins. "Sweet! I'll go get ready!"

Pacifica runs off. As you stand there waiting for her to come back, your mind wanders. How hard will it be to get to Will? Are he and Gideon really in the same place? Just how mad is Dipper?

About five minutes later, Pacifica slides back into the room wearing shoes and a puffy jacket. "Alright!" she says. "Let's go!"

She loops her arm in yours, and once again you're grateful for her company. "We've got some boys to rescue."