Chapter Two: I Learn a Secret

Cars honked loudly and people bustled around me. Ms.Reagan, my foster mother, tightened her grip on my hand. The other foster children grouped together as we got out of the van. There were seven children in total. Ms.Reagan was an elderly woman who was very kind to all of us. Her granddaughter was a social worker, and somehow Ms.Reagan ended up housing all of us parent-less kids. I couldn't be more grateful. All of the foster children were brought to Ms.Reagan from her granddaughter.

Everyone except for me.

I've been living in the foster home since I was a baby. Ms. Reagan said she has found me near a dumpster one day when she was walking home. I couldn't have been more than a few days old. According to Ms.Reagan the only things I had were a blue-black blanket and an almost blank birth certificate. Ms.Reagan's granddaughter, Mrs. Lewis, told me that a birth certificate was a paper that told the government important stuff about people. The only thing my birth certificate had to offer was my name and birthday.

My birthday. August eighteenth.

The whole reason we were in the city today. To celebrate my special day with a picnic in the park. The older foster kids walked in front of Ms.Reagan and I, leading the way. Soon enough I was standing in Central Park with my "family." The oldest kid was Henry, he was almost an adult now. He'd been living in the foster home almost as long as I had. He was gonna leave soon, I was definitely going to miss him. The second oldest was Karyn. Karyn was fifteen. This was her second year living with us. At first we didn't get along well. We still don't now.

Henry went back to the van to get the food. Karyn started to spread out blankets in the grass. The other kids branched out from our spot by some benches and trees. They ran around playing games and having fun. I didn't join in.

Quicker than lighting, a young teen ran in front of me. He was being chased by a large dog with glowing red eyes. A blond girl flew after the dog. She flew...like really flying! No one else in the park seemed to notice the trio. I leapt to my feet and started to run after the flying girl. They shot into a cluster of trees, and I quickly followed their path. I stumbled into a clearing. My heart was beating faster than the top speed of a race car. My lungs burned and my knees felt like falling over. I'd never run that fast before.

The demon dog pounced on the boy and he fell to the ground. A shiny knife the color of a penny was thrown out of his hands and spun towards the tree I was hiding behind. The blond girl floated down to the ground and took a similarly colored sword out of one of her belt loops. Before the dog could hurt the boy the girl swung the sword at the demon creature. It burst into a golden dust that flew away in a distant breeze.

"Really Jaimie? You just couldn't stick to the plan," the blond girl spoke.

"Hey, it's not my fault monsters want a piece of me. Do you know where my knife went?"

I bent down and grasped the knife in one of my hands. I tried to be as silent as possible as I watched the two people. If I could even call them that. I thought about my different options. I could keep the knife and walk away, question the strangers about what was going on, or I could leave a pretend nothing ever happened. There were three different paths I could take. If I let them get away who knows when I will be able to ask someone questions. Making up my mind, I stepped up from behind my tree. Both teenagers turned to stare at me.

Standing in front of them made it easier to make out their features. The boy had caramel colored hair, tanned skin, and deep dark colored eyes. He wore a pair of slim black jeans with a lot of rips, and a blue shirt with a white pattern. Is friend had wavy blonde hair that, was more brown closer to her head, and pale green eyes. The flying girl wore a grey hat-Karyn had one, she called it a "beanie", I didn't really understand the name- and a green sweater that was too big. Her dark gray jeans also had holes, but not as many as the boy, Jaimie.