Off The Keep

Mage Stood on the edge of the Castle keep, Ready to jump off the edge. She could see her two friends at the base of the keep, Prince was waving at her. She waved back and nearly lost her balance on the rough stone. "You know you don't have to do this! We'll believe you!" Prince yelled up at her. Clif, who stood next to the prince stayed silent as always.

"I'd do it even if you weren't here!" She shouted back, the wind ruffled her long skirt and the low back of her shirt. Bracing herself, Mage let herself fall off the keep, her purple eyes flashing.

The wind whistled around her, unraveling her neat braids into long glossy black curls. The ground was getting nearer. Grinning Mage spread her arms and whooped as she flipped in the air, giddy from the rush of approaching doom. She was almost to the ground. A smooth streak of heat spread on her back and two grey dove wings sprouted between her shoulder blades. They caught the air and shot Mage across the courtyard, she pulled up on practiced wings before she hit the wall, going straight up only to tuck in her wings, the world seemed to still as Mage floated for a split second before she fell through the air once more. Mage dove toward her two friends and pulled up again landing a couple feet from Clif and Prince.

"What do you think?" Mage gasped, a little out of breath from the steep falls.

Prince's face was plastered with a giant grin. "That was great! It looked like you sprouted your wings mid flip! Do you think I could try?"

Mage smiled at him, "No darling, you'll die" then turned to Clif. "What did you think?"

Clif nodded and gave a small smile, she was normally quiet being a Castle servant so Mage liked to ask her opinion, to include her when she wasn't working but Clif still kept silent. The three began to walk inside the castle, Mage transforming the back of her shirt to a more suitable length as they walked.

"When did you learn to fly like that?" Prince asked in his energetic manner.

"Not everyone has to be in classes all day! I only have three obligations, practice, perform and represent."

Prince's eye widened, " That reminds me! I'm late for class! Da's gonna kill me!" He ran down the hall, kilt and shaggy curls flowing. Prince was a forgetful spark of energy and certainly did not belong in the castle, Prince Maclamime of Tocsland, troublemaker, heir and most importantly a great friend who would do anything for Mage and Clif. Because she was a servant Clif had to hide her friendship with the Prince, (which is why they often referred to him as Prince and not Maclamime) but he would rather lose the crown then the only friend he wasn't ordered to make. Mage turned to make this observation to Clif herself but she had disappeared into the many secret passageways of the castle. Mage sighed at her silent friend and turned around to continue her lonely flying in the crisp autumn air.

Alone with only her thoughts and the clouds, Mage went over her history with the prince. The King had sought out Mage in the capital for the sole purpose of having Maj representation in the court, even though the subspecies of gifted humans were increasingly rare. Mage had never even met another of her kind yet the king wanted to end discrimination in the father cities of his reign. Where supposedly the Maj population was larger. Wanting to present the best image to the public and encourage more Maj to "come out" and be themselves. He asked that Mage marry his only son. Mage's father was not an idiot so he accepted and now lived in comfort. Mage, however, thought the king was foolish, not saving the marriage for a bond between countries but nevertheless Prince and Mage were going to be married in 3 years at the age of 18. At first they were shy of each other and at one point got into fights with their respective parents (they were only 8 at the time) but in the end, they developed a bond over Prince's love of magic. Even the simple things that every Maj could do, like magic-shifting and sample flames. Then they were here, living in the same castle, pretending they wouldn't have to get married and continue to get in trouble with the king, yet Mage couldn't but dread becoming Queen and representing her kind that she knew nothing about. As the sky began to get dark, Mage returned to the castle to change before dinner.