Abi

Chapter 1 - Abi's POV

As I stood watching the football tryouts taking place on the school field before me, I almost have to fight the urge to roll my eyes at the stupidity of some students. I watch with an eyebrow raised as yet another guy is called up and takes his place where a ball is kicked to him. His right leg swings back, and with as much force as he can muster, he sends the ball flying across the field, completely missing the goal.

"Abi, there's no way we're going to manage to form teams this year." Kieran, the captain of the boy's football team states from beside me, crossing his arms over his chest. I nibble on my lower lip with eyebrows furrowed as a girl with short blonde hair is called up. She takes her place and kicks the ball, sending it flying into the back of the net.

With a grin, I release my lip and nudge Kieran with my shoulder. "Looks like I'll be having more luck than you."

Spotting Kelsey across the field, jumping and waving frantically and gaining several looks of distaste, I pat Kieran on the back before running towards her, leaving Kieran stood grumbling under his breath. Narrowly missing a football flying towards me, I turn and raise my hands at the guy stood with a sheepish look on his face. "Next time, try actually aiming for the goal!" I shout, ignoring his apology as I shake my head and jog to Kelsey's side.

"Not being funny, but how on earth are we going to form a team this year? Everyone is hopeless!" Kelsey sighs, kicking the damp grass under her feet.

"We'll manage. There's some good ones. Did you see that blonde one?" I ask, slyly nodding my head in the direction of the girl sat on the bench, passing a ball between her hands as she watches the other students.

"Oh, you mean the one sat over there?" Kelsey asks a little too loudly, earning a confused look from the girl in question. Ducking my head in embarrassment of being caught out, I kick Kelsey's shin with my blue trainers, earning a shout from her. "You just caught me with a stud!"

"Oh grow up, it's just a stud." I mutter, heading towards the blonde girl. "You coming?"

With a roll of her eyes, Kelsey jogs to my side not arguing any further with me. The girl with the short blonde hair looks up as we approach, eyeing us carefully as we move sit down beside her. "This seat isn't taken, right?" With a shake of her head, I share a glance with Kelsey before we sit down smiling at the girl.

"Hey, I'm Abi and this is Kelsey. You've got a pretty good kick, what's your name?" I say, smiling at her in hopes of not making her uncomfortable. Her eyes widen as she realises who we are.

"I-I'm Jess, you're the captain, right? And Kelsey's one of the best defenders? Thank you so much!" She stutters, trying to comprehend everything. I let out a laugh and nod at her.

As much as I love being known for being team captain, I also hate it. No matter where I go, I'm always recognised as the one responsible for keeping the team into good order, which isn't necessarily a good thing considering last year I got stuck with a team of idiots. Sure, they were brilliant players, but they rarely turned up for practise or for training, they wouldn't even train at home. Instead I would often pass them stumbling out of someone's house completely drunk on my route when I run. If it weren't for the fact they were reckless, we wouldn't have to do tryouts again.

From what Kelsey's told me, she doesn't have the greatest time being top defender either. The whole school relies on her to make sure we score goals, regardless as to who we have on the team. Her family isn't the most cooperative with her either. They, like mine, believe that football should be left to the men since they apparently class it as a 'mens' sport, but you can't exactly class it that when we've won 3 cups already as a school team.

Of course, growing up in the football world, reading all the latest football news, I knew anyone and everyone who was a part of the football world. So glancing across the football field, I should have immediately recognised the boy taking his stand in the spot, hiding under his cap as he swung his leg back and slammed his foot against the ball, sending it flying past the startled goal keeper, and straight into the corner of the net. The white net swishes at the impact, the ball bouncing down to the ground but the sound remaining unheard due to the cries of joys from those watching from the sidelines.

It wasn't until the boy with the blonde hair tucked under the cap turns my way, oblivious to my gaze, that I realise who he is.

 Jack McCarthy. Son of football legend Tyler James 'TJ' McCarthy.

It's obvious no one else has noticed yet. Everyone cheering at the brilliant goal he just scored. He's a keeper and no one even realises it. I stand, gaining a few curious glances from the girls beside me as I step over the bench in front of us, and head across the field to where Kieran stand talking to another member of the football team. Glancing towards Jack, I see his head lift up, a hand raising and tipping his cap further up so he can watch me. I smile at him, keeping my eye on him as I reach Kieran. Jack stands ignoring all the pats on his back, the colour in his face completely drains away, leaving him sheet white as he watches me lean into Kieran, my hand holding his shoulder as I whisper into his ear. "Now that," Jack's jaw drops and his hands drop to his side as he watches me in horror. "Is a boy you need to keep your eye on. He's a keeper."

With that, I step away, grinning at Jack as I pass Kieran and head towards where Kelsey is stood awaiting me by the changing room doors, a worried look on her face. Nearing Jack, I tuck a loose hair behind my ear and - as subtly as I can - smirk at him, mouthing his name to him before I jog ahead to Kelsey's side.