four

Harry's mood has lifted drastically from its previous state at home. However, the closer to the venue we get the more nervous he becomes By the time we pull into the parking lot, his knuckles have turned white from his grip on the steering wheel.

Despite hitting the road a bit later than originally planned, we make it to the venue with a few minutes to spare.

I look out the window at the big, old brick building in front of us. There are some people scattered outside, many of them with handsfree devices in their ears and gesturing animatedly with their hands.

I turn back to Harry again and gently pry his hand away from the steering wheel and kiss his knuckles.

"This will only change things for the better," I remind him.

He sports a frown between his eyebrows, but nods nonetheless.

"Yeah, you're right," he agrees and turns to me with a smile. Lovely dimples piercing his cheeks. "It feels so surreal being here, y'know?"

Yeah, buddy, I can't begin to explain how nauseous I'm feeling on your behalf. I'm comfortable from the sideline. Cheering you on.

"I don't actually, but I can imagine."

Harry pauses for a moment and tucks a strand of hair behind my ear.

"Thank you for being here," he says. "And putting up with my mood swings this past week."

"There's nowhere I'd rather be."

He gives me a kiss before pulling away with a mischievous look on his face.

"Hey, wanna make out for a while? It's good for my nerves."

My mouth falls open in surprise at how devious he'd turned in a matter of seconds.

"Nice try, we're going inside. C'mon," I say as I open the car door to step outside.

With a whine, Harry gets out of the car realizing I wasn't giving in. Really, he would have missed his audition if we'd procrastinated any longer.

As I am about to tuck my phone in the back pocket of my jeans, it vibrates with an incoming text. 

From Dad
Received 17:13
Mum and I won't be home tonight. Working late. Will be home tomorrow afternoon. See you then. 

I type back a quick reply of something along the lines of okay, even though it isn't. I should be used to these texts by now and learned to brush them off. They affect me still, though.

Tonight is about Harry, I remind myself. Right.

Gemma has also texted me four minutes ago, slightly panicking and asking where we are. P.S. URGENT, she'd signed the message. Along with five missed calls.

Oopsie. I've been dealing with your anxious brother of nerves, Gems.

"We gotta find your family," I tell Harry. He grabs my hand to hold as we walk inside.

There's tons of contestants, some with instruments, some talking among each other, and some sitting alone trying not to lose their shit when the cameras are on them.

The cameras make me a bit nervous, so I try and steer away from their lenses as much as I can.

Anne, Robin and Gemma are waiting inside of the building, big smiles on their faces. Gemma smiles the widest. She gives me a quick hug while Harry retrieves his candidate number.

"I've been calling frantically, JR," Gemma greets. "We thought the two of you bailed."

"Ahem, you though they bailed, Gemma," Anne corrects her daughter. "We knew you'd make it, sweetheart."