1. Promises to Keep

2023 CE
Hapsburg Town

As soon as the scream filled the air, Aunt Lilian knew that her date was ruined once more.

Irritated with everything that had been going on for the past decade in her life, she wished she could somehow get rid of her two nieces that had been living with them, no thanks to the choices their mother had made throughout her life. How she wished she could wring the necks of the two little toads!

But the fact that both of them reminded her of people from her own family that she cherished did not allow her to do anything drastic. And besides, it was just a few more years before they left her for good...

Therefore, pushing down the anger boiling in her blood, Aunt Lilian excused herself from the company of her boyfriend in the living room and made her way to the kitchen.

If she thought finding her nieces on her doorstep early one morning had been the greatest shock of her life, then one would wonder what she would call finding her stove burnt.

"The stove?" she gasped, trying her best not to burst into a fit of sheer anger. She pressed her eyes closed. "You burnt the stove? What in the heck were you thinking?"

The two young girls staring back at her knew this was only the calm before the storm. The worst was yet to come...

However, to their immense surprise, Aunt Lilian merely nodded her head and turned away.

"What next?" she muttered, loud enough for them to hear.

The youngest of the girls stepped forward, her eyes downcast and looking rather guilty. "As usual, it was me," she said. "I got scared when I was trying to light the stove."

Aunt Lilian's piercing eyes landed on her. "And why were you trying to light the stove, Ellie?"

Ellie gulped. "Olivia said I had to learn to light my own fire." She held up the lighter. "But, I strongly believe that Magic can be used to light a fire just as well as a lighter!"

The older girl, Olivia, gave her a deadpanned glare. "First, learn to do the normal way. Then, we can talk about Magic."

"But -"

"No buts!"

Aunt Lilian's sudden cry startled both the girls into silence. They stared silently at her, blinking in silent innocence.

Their aunt took in a deep breath and went on, more calmly this time: "Ellie, listen to your sister and learn to do the normal way first. In fact, forget for a while that you are a Witch."

Although Ellie wanted to scream and stamp her foot, she did not, for she knew only too well that her aunt stood no nonsense. Ellie might as well listen to her.

In the end, she gave in with a sigh and a pout. "All right." She turned to her older sister. "I'll learn it the normal way first."

Aunt Lilian turned to walk away, but paused in her tracks. She stared ahead blankly and without emotion as she said, her voice soft, "Olivia, you do remember your promise, don't you?"

The older of the girls stepped forward. "Yes, Aunt, I do remember. And I will definitely keep it. I never go back on my words."

'And I have a promise, too,' thought Aunt Lilian, grimly, as she walked back to the living room, where her boyfriend was waiting patiently, 'but I don't know if I'll keep it.'

***

Next update- Sunday!