Chapter 2

GRAY pov

I wake up feeling warm. My side is cradled to a mattress much softer than the ratty sleeping bag I usually sleep on. I crack my eyes open and see that I'm in a strange place. Then I remember last night. I'm supposed to be dead. Crap.

I'm in a giant bed with charcoal bedding. The room is very modern. The ceiling is high and black. It looks semi-industrial. There are heavily tinted windows that go from floor to ceiling and I'm guessing I'm in the city in a high rise apartment. This doesn't look like heaven but it is nice.

I stretch my limbs and sit up in bed. The walls are white. The modern black leather chair in the corner is empty just like the rest of the room. I see an open door to the left and walk to it. Thankfully it's a bathroom. I relieve my aching bladder and wash my hands while avoiding the mirror. I know there's bruises on my face. They're three days old now but I still feel them when I open my mouth wide.

I make my way back to the bed and sit on the edge. I lean my head back and close my eyes. I breath deep and try to relax. It's harder than it looks.

"Hello Miss Perrin." A voice says and I jump. I scan the room but see no one.

"Do not be afraid." His deep voice tells me.

"Are you the one who took me last night?" I ask hesitantly.

"Yes I am." 

"Where are you?" I ask.

"Look up to the right. There is a speaker and a camera." I look and see the tiny camera and small speaker.

"What is your name?" I ask. I hate not being able to call him something. I hear him chuckle.

"For now you can call me by my nickname. Most people call me Death. Although I am not the Death you may be thinking of." He laughs again but it sounds slightly evil and muffled.

"Are you going to kill me then Death? Can I at least see your face first? I've had enough pain. I cannot bear anymore." I say and I find myself crying. I sit and let the tears fall. I wipe at them angrily. Death is quiet. He's probably just watching me. 

After what seems like ten minutes. I hears footsteps on the hard floors. The bedroom door opens and a man walks in. He's maybe in his late 20's. He's not just any man though. He's tall. Over six feet. He has tan skin and wide shoulders. His jaw is square and his lips are semi-full. He's wearing a black suit with a white button down underneath. He's well groomed. His black hair slicked back. His black soulless eyes hold no emotion. His face gives away nothing.

"Death?" I ask in a whisper. 

"Yes Miss Perrin. It is me." 

"You're so handsome..." I say dumbly.

"Evil can hide behind any pretty face. The mask of Death is his greatest deception." He says.

"I know of monsters...Death. I know a monster who wears a mask..." I say while trailing off. The stupid tears flow again at the thought of my dad.

"Tell me Miss Perrin. Did the monster give you these bruises?" He asks me. I try to hide my legs in the sheets. 

"Don't hide your body from me!" He shouts.

 I stop moving and nod. He's closer now. Only a foot away and his eyes are taking in my face. My body shakes with fear.

"Do you believe this monster deserves to die?" He asks me. I barely find my voice but I decide to answer him.

"He has done many bad things but he is the only family I have left. If he dies I want to die as well." I try to say this with confidence but my voice comes out small.