eleven ; present

CHAPTER ELEVEN ; EMPATHIC WORDS

THERE WAS SOMETHING about seeing the one and only true alpha up close that made her feel odd. She had gathered intel on him, learned the information she needed to know, and of course there were other things Void had told her, but still. Prudence knew the most significant things about him yet he felt like a stranger, though to be fair they haven't actually ever met before and by the way things were headed, he was going to die soon. From her perspective, he might as well already be because it was obvious the one she loved dearly wasn't going to stop with his reign of terror.

The werewolf was tied up with ropes along with enclosed in a circle of mountain ash, still asleep from being attacked ruthlessly by the fox, his neck slung back awkwardly from having nothing to support his head as he sat in a chair. She was on the other side of the room, leaning against one of the cement walls of the abandoned factory's basement and waiting for him to return, boredom clear on her face while she picked at her nails. Pru was supposed to keep an eye on the russet-skinned boy, make sure he didn't try to escape his containment —not that he could anyway due to the fact he was remarkably weak.

Scott had been out for a little over an hour, the wolfsbane certainly taking its toll on him, making the process of healing himself drastically slower. He needed someone like Deaton to get the toxic substance out of his system soon or else being unconscious and helpless wouldn't be his worse problem. Truthfully the girl didn't know what Void was waiting for, since he got him to a point where he was vulnerable and easy to kill, but no, his revenge had to climactic, it had to be played out in a sick, tricky game. He wanted to prolong his fun for as long as he saw fit.

The blonde had figured out that she didn't like that method so much, though she thought the root of that was because she was impatient, that waiting that long appeared to be unnecessary to her. Though after all, Prudence only took one life in her entire existence and that was only to pledge her allegiance to her partner, and she remembered how she felt after she did it. The guilt didn't hit right away like she thought — actually nothing did — because she was blank for that moment, empty, feeling absolutely nothing and she had to admit that she didn't like that feeling.

Maybe that's why she continued on with her life only throwing out threats, and if she did harm someone, it never lead to them meeting their end; killing someone simply didn't appeal to her. She swore it should though due to the fact it wasn't supposed to bother her and that the human choose her side to be on already. She's done a vast amount of heartless things to have a simple outcome like death unnerve her. So what was wrong? Why do things like that always wedge themselves in the way of what she's decided on? Why couldn't she be like him and plainly only care about specific things?

Well, it was humanity, sneaking up on her no matter how hard she tried to push it away. She was wrong before, the fox wasn't her greatest weakness, feeling was. Feeling every single emotion that she was supposed to, feeling the good and bad of each outcome, and feeling the right and wrong options continuously tear at her subconscious. There wasn't a way to escape it, because those decisions, those choices, would never stop being available, waiting to be chosen. Her staying with him was only of them and it didn't make the other options magically disappear, even if she wanted them to. Plus, there was still the scary realization that she could could change her mind.