Noise

Just a short story that we had half an hour to write in school  :D

The light was fading and the forest was closing in fast. Winter flapped his wings and sped up, if he could beat the darkness home then he would be safe from the devil forest-seahorses that lurked there. His headphones blasted an indistinguishable song into his ears to block out the calls of the devils. His long chestnut tail streamed out behind him, his charcoal wings dragged him through the air as fast as they could as he swooped to avoid an oncoming tree. When he raised his head again there was a glimpse of a rolling green meadow between the trunks of the thinning trees, there was hope, the devils never came past the edge of the forest.

A contorted face appeared next to Winters feline one. It had a narrow slimy grey snout with bottomless eyes that looked into the space where its soul should have been. Winter snarled at it and desperately tried to force his tired wings into speeding him out of the dreaded forest. It had always been a bad idea going into the forest even in the day, let alone in the season he was named after when the darkness was longer than the day.

He just needed to reach the patch of grass, if he didn’t he would face the consequences of trespassing on the land of the forest-seahorses. The only thing he could see was the green ahead of him, he tried to ignore the strange face of the devil. Winter knew he could escape and threw all his willpower into flying out of the forest. A breeze ruffled his fur from the opposite direction to which he was heading, risking a look back he saw the edge of the forest and a devil on its hind legs, twisted claws stretched forward after Winter and its long yellow fangs were displayed as it screeched. This devil was closer than Winter had ever seen one, and the scream it produced was loud, high and strangely empty, it reached above the noise of Winters music and seemed to ring inside his head.

The sound was deafening, echoing inside his head, Winter stopped mid flight and fell to the ground unconscious. The devil forest-seahorses’ best weapon was its voice which was why all of Winters family wore headphones but his had failed, leaving him curled up on the grass in the meadow, unconscious and vulnerable to the devils attack. He hoped that the boundary of the forest would protect him before the noise emptied his head of every though and memory. There was just…

NOISE.