Blind as a Bat

🍒
24th of December 1957

"I knew it! You like John! There couldn't have been any other reason why you turned me down." Paul laughed.

I confessed to Paul about how I felt about John, apparently Paul somewhat already knew.

"I turned you down because I'm going to be 18, and you're barely 5 months into being 16."

"6 months." He corrected.

I scrunched my eyebrows
"When's your birthday?"

"18th of June."

I smiled
"Right I knew that."

"Anyway...If you didn't like John you would've been with me." Paul smiled.

I raised my eyebrows in disagreeance.

"Who then?" Paul gasped dramatically.
"George?"

"Ew no he's a bloody kid." I scrunched my face.

"Pete?" Paul asked.

"Which one?" I slurped on my cola.

"Shotton."

Suddenly I slightly choked and coughed.

"C'mon I mean he isn't that bad looking." Paul laughed as he patted my back.

"No, I didn't mean it like that I was literally choking there." I said catching my breath.

"So is that a yes for Shotton?" Paul smirked.

"No."

"Best?" Paul asked.

"What is this, what game are we even playing?" I asked.

"I forgot myself." Paul laughed.

"Ooh how about Stu? I've seen the way you glance at him." Paul imitated my glances dramatically.

"I don't do that!" I laughed and playfully slapped his arm.
"But--"

"Oh? Go on." Paul leaned in.

"He is really attractive." I smiled.

"Certainly not more than me right?"

I stayed silent.

"Come on that's harsh Cherry." Paul laughed.

Paul and I were chatting on my lunch break at the diner, which I currently work at. I still go to college (but were on break for the holidays). So you can guess that I haven't been out much as I used to.

Paul and Stu would come visit from time to time at the diner, even George has, but not for me of course. But John hasn't at all, not even when I'm at home.
Paul's been telling me that he's been always busy either with the band, friends or girls he would just hook up with.

I even tried to reach out to him several times but nothings been working out.

"How is it here?" Paul looked around the diner.

"Besides the customers being complete arseholes to me, and a low life boss, I'd say pretty good." I nodded.

"That bad huh?" Paul shook his head.

"Hey, I mean it pays enough since my mum moved out." I shrugged.

My mum decided to leave and not come back, she said and I quote "I can't stand wasting my life away anymore." So to hell with her.

"Wait. So you live on your own now?" Paul raised his eyebrows.

"Don't get any ideas now." I laughed.

"I meant why?" Paul seemed concerned.

I sighed
"I don't want to talk about it okay?"

"Hear me out, what are you doing for Christmas?" Paul asked.

I shrugged.
"I dunno, watch some Christmas specials on the tele why?"

"Well, ever since me mum passed on my dad can't keep himself together y'know his habits..." Paul glanced away.

I just listened, I didn't want him to explain it seemed to really got to him alot.

"And I was thinking since you're not doing anything important--"

"Ay! Watching Christmas specials is very important." I laughed.

"Of course, of course, so why not me and my brother watch it with you." Paul smiled.

"You want to spend Christmas with me?"

"Yeah why not" Paul smiled.

"Paul."

He looked at me waiting for my response.

"Was it really that obvious?" I laughed.

"You'd have to be blind to not notice how you constantly act around John."

"Well John is blind." I laughed.

"As a bat."
Paul added.

🍒