Six

I never thought that my first Valentine's Day with Martha would consist of us staying at home, looking after two babies, and entertaining a bunch of people, half of whom I have never met before

I never thought that my first Valentine's Day with Martha would consist of us staying at home, looking after two babies, and entertaining a bunch of people, half of whom I have never met before. Unfortunately, that wasn't my biggest issue with tonight; the worst part of the evening was the half of our guests that I did know. Keira Delaney and Logan Leahy both welcomed me with huge grins as I walked into Martha's living room and set down Léa's carrier. It was the first time I'd seen them since Martha kicked them out a few weeks ago and in the time I didn't have to see Keira in particular, well, they were the best days of my life. 

"Another baby?" A male voice said. It was an American accent but it didn't come from Logan Leahy. Looking around, I spot the two interlopers- a woman who looked sickly sweet but had a fire in her eyes and a man who seemed so laid back he was practically horizontal until he spotted Léa. Then he went absolutely gaga over her, handing Sera over to the woman he was sat next to. "Can I hold her?"

Before I could answer, he was unbuckling Léa from her carrier and cradling her in his arms as he bounced on the soles of his feet, cooing at her like it was no one's business. "Yeah, sure," I mumbled before heading to find Martha in the kitchen. Snaking my arms around her waist from behind, I planted a kiss on her bare neck. "Good evening, beautiful. I thought it was just going to be us two and the babies tonight."

Spinning in my arms, Martha looked over my shoulder at the guests in her living area and frowned. "As did I," she grumbled. "But then this happened. Right, the girl is Nina Taylor, Michael's sister, and the guy is James Saylor-"

"James Saylor?" I scoff. Looking at the man bouncing my niece up and down on his knee, I cock my head sideways and watch him carefully. "Are you telling me that he- the man in there- is a world-famous, on-the-rise actor? No offence, Martha, but he doesn't look like the guy who was voted the most desired man in the world."

With a sly grin, Martha turns her back on me and returns to reading over a new recipe that's written in the Clément's old family recipe book. Knowing that she doesn't like to be interrupted as she cooks, I leave the kitchen and go back to the living area, feeling a lot older now than when I walked in. I think I was a good five years older than these lot, at least. 

With Keira and Logan off in their own world, it was left to the newcomers to introduce themselves to me, with Nina taking the lead. When I mentioned that I knew her brother well, Nina was quick to ask what dirt I had on him, stating that any of the embarrassing stories I told her would stay between the two of us. I hazard a guess that she's forgotten all about the fact that there are other people in the room. It's either that or that she simply wanted to humiliate her brother in front of a group of people who know him. 

Refusing to divulge anything that happens during Boy's Night, Logan unhelpfully stepped in and gave her a few titbits about Michael Taylor but thankfully, he was new to the club and didn't know as many secrets as I did. Like the time Michael had to dress up as a cheerleader for my brother's stag party. Or when he threw up after drinking three glasses of wine. And Logan definitely did not know about Michael's transgressions in Las Vegas a few years ago. I hate the fact that I know about that eventful evening so I wasn't going to start shouting it out from the rooftops.