Chapter Three

Elena's POV:

I wiped away my tears from my face and entered the house. I found my parent's in the living room, sitting on the couch and discussing something.

"Good morning," I said, averting my eyes to avoid eye contact. I didn't want them to notice my red eyes.

My parents looked up at me and watched me with a questioning gaze.

"Good morning. I thought you were sleeping so I didn't wake you up for breakfast, " Mom said.

"I woke up early and went out for a walk then decided to have breakfast," I said.

My mom nodded, however, she didn't look convinced.

"Come here, princess. Your mom and I need help in selecting the decor color for tonight's dinner, " Dad said.

"Dinner? Why nobody told me we were having dinner tonight?" I asked them.

"Madeline parents will be leaving for New York tomorrow. Your mom believes we should arrange a farewell dinner before they leave. And it's tonight, you're invited too, " Dad said with a smile.

Did I tell you how much I adore my dad and his habit of cracking ridiculous jokes?

I smiled and sat down on the couch beside my dad. He handed me the booklet to choose the color combination for decor. I tried to act cheerful about the whole dinner thing but I knew my facade was dropping.

"I think this color combination will look good, champagne and white. What do you say, mom?" I asked her.

"Yes, this looks pretty nice. Definitely, my choice of theme," Mom said with the smug smile and dad rolled his eyes.

"I'm going to my room, you guys carry on," I said and got up to leave.

"Do you want to eat something?" Mom asked.

"No, I am good," I said and went to my room.

I slumped down on my bed and touched my lips.

Shit! I kissed him! I kissed Jake Carter, my brother's best friend.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. Everything was replaying in my head like a movie.

And he pushed you away. My mind reminded me.

The tears again burned my eyes and I let them fell freely. He pushed me away because he called it a mistake. Maybe despite everything he still saw me as Brandon's little sister.

I heard the knock at my door and yelled. "Come in!"

Eric entered my room, wearing grey sweat pants and a black shirt.

"Mom told me to check on you, she believes your mood is off," He said, slumping on the bed beside me.

"No, I'm fine. I just need some rest, I guess."

"I told her that your mood swing is natural. Your brother is happily married and on the other hand, you don't even have a boyfriend. Single life makes people depressed, "He said laughing at his own stupid joke.

I stayed silent, feeling too tired to argue with his hormonal teenage brain.

He looked at me in bewilderment.

"Is there something on your mind? You know you can tell me anything," he said.

"Eric, I think you were right, " I said absentmindedly.

"I was right about what?" He asked.

"About something. I'm tired and going to take a nap so you better leave my room," I said pushing my brother out from my room and locking the door.