/ / C H A P T E R T W E N T Y S I X / /

I sat on the porch with my canvas and paints sprawled out all around. There was the smallest of breeze, and the stars shined down providing me with all the additional light as I needed other than the one beside the door. The night here could be beautiful when it was seldom warm, and with this being my first experience of weather other than rain here...it was relaxing.

My dad opened the front door, looking down at me, "are you going to eat dinner tonight, or are you skipping out on me again?" He asked.

I shook my head, feeling sorry.

"I wish I could, I just don't really feel good..." I said, looking up at him.

"I made your favorite, lasagna." He said, trying his best to convince me to eat.

I shook my head again, slowly, "I'm not hungry." I said.

"Alright...well, I'm going to bed then, goodnight Katie."

I nodded, "goodnight, dad."

He shut the door and went in the house. I sighed and turned back to my painting as nostalgia crept up on me. I closed my eyes for a moment, imagining myself back home in California. My mother would be in the house cooking at whatever time she wanted to, rather than at a decent hour for dinners in most families. She'd be playing Marvin Gaye, really loud, so loud that the neighbors would end up yelling over the fence to tell me to give her the word to turn it down.

"Hey,"

I looked up quickly, startled. To my surprise it was George, walking up the path to my stoop. I looked up at him as he made his way. He wore a long tank top, with his hands dug in deep in his pockets, it was as if it kept him safe.

"George...hey, what are you doing here?" I asked him, keeping safe myself with my paint brush in hand.

"I want to apologize...I didn't want to do it over text, or phone, I wanted to see you to tell you." He said slowly.

I put the brush down as he sat down beside me, staring blankly into my canvas and meditating on his words.

"It's fine..." I said, "but why were you acting so mean?" I asked, turning around.

He shook his head, "I was just being stupid I guess, I dunno."

I tucked my hair behind my ears as a distraction, being that I hated confrontation...but somehow I was able to speak up, and voice what was on my mind, "you do know...you just don't want to tell me." I said.

He looked at me, surprised that I could tell.

He shrugged slowly, "Katie, don't think I'm trying to come onto you or anything, you're Matty's girlfriend. I respect that, I respect him, I respect you, he's my best mate-"

"Just say it." I said, I didn't mean to cut him off short, but the anticipation was killing me inside.

He sighed and looked at me, "Katie I liked you. So much." I could feel how hard it must have been to tell me, from the way he said it. It was as if he was speaking through the breath he had been holding back all the time he wanted to tell me in the first place.

"I was mad..." He continued, looking away and off into the distance. I didn't say anything, I didn't know what I could say. "but that was selfish of me." He finished.

"George...I'm s-"

"No, don't tell me you're sorry." He stood up, turning around and looking down at me. I was lost for words, I shut my mouth and turned back to my painting.

"Don't do that, Katie." He said.

"Do what?" I asked, filling in the detail of the moon.

"Hide, you've gotten so good at coming out, don't go back now."

"I feel like shit, George." I said, endeavoring to keep from blinking, which would allow tears to make their way through.

"Don't, I'm not mad anymore. Okay, the way Matty talks about you, the way you smile around him, Katie you two were meant for each other. I felt like shit too until I realized that. Two people who are incredibly happy, who happen to be important to me. He's my best friend okay...and you're one of my best friends too."

I paused from my painting and set the brush down, turning around.

"I am?" I asked.

"Yeah..." he said, finally removing his hands from his pockets.

I got up, throwing my arms around him and hugging him tightly. He laughed and hugged me back, I knew he probably thought I was being over dramatic, but it didn't stop me, because his words meant a lot to me.

"Awww shit Katie!" He said.

I retrieved my arms and looked at him, "what?!"

"You got paint on my jacket." He pulled the sleeve of his jacket around to see it.

"...I'm sorry." I said, I was always fucking shit up.

He rolled his eyes, "yeah well you're gonna have to buy me a new one."

"Okay, its only fair." I said.

"It costed three thousand dollars." He smirked.

I laughed and hit him playfully, "my ass."

"So what are you painting?" He asked.

I went back to the canvas and sat down, "it's the universe. I was feeling...cosmic." I said.

"Is that why you're outside in the dark? Are you using the stars for inspiration?" He looked up a bit, digging his hands back into his pockets.

I patted the space beside me, "you can help me if you want." He looked at my door, hesitantly. I laughed a little, "my dads asleep."

"Okay." He sat down next to me, I handed him a brush. He stared at it as if he'd never held one in hand before.

"Just do whatever you want, it doesn't have to be pretty." I said.

"Are you sure?" He asked, his same smirk on his face, the one he always had when he was shy about something.

I smiled back and nodded.

---------------------------

I never thought that I could ever feel this happy. I've never felt complete, like anything would ever be good for me. I always thought that maybe I'd be alone for the rest of my life, with only my family by my side...and barely that. I guess I was wrong, and things can get better...and things do get better...

Sometimes it takes longer than it should, but it does happen. For me I guess it just took the right person to help me on the way. Maybe things are meant to be, maybe things do happen for a reason, I'll never know--

"Katie are you ready to go?" Matty asked me, pulling out the plane tickets from his pocket.

I shut my journal and slipped it into my purse, nodding.

"Are you sure your moms gonna like me, or is she like your dad?" He asked.

"Since when do you care what anyone thinks?" I laughed, "she'll love you, I swear."