Chapter Eleven - Man Insincts

Chapter Eleven - Man Instincts

The café was cosy and warm, the smell of pastries and coffee drifted through the air. I watched raindrops roll down the old fashioned windows, gradually sliding down the glass panes. Out of curiosity, I pressed my hand against the window, a cold sensation travelled through my palm and into my fingertips. Outside, people holding umbrellas - in an assortment of different colours - strolled past lazily.

Due to Matt’s request, Zach and I had dropped him off at his friend’s house. We were now sitting opposite each other, at the back of the small café. Zach seemed to be very interested in the menu he was reading, his eyes scanning the laminated piece of paper.

His eyes fascinated me. I avoided looking at them as much as I could, because, when I did, I usually found myself staring at them with no sense of time. It wasn’t just the colour, a shade of grey which screamed danger, power and passion; it’s the emotion they held in them. Feelings that I knew Zack was trying his hardest to hide. Feelings like pain.

I noticed that whenever he smiled or laughed, it would never reach his eyes. But, in these past days, something has changed. When he smiles, he really does smile. And when he laughs, he really does laugh. His eyes now held something which they didn’t before. Hope. What sparked this change was a mystery.

Every single time, I forgot how his eyes could captivate me. I never learned.

He looked up at me. “You stare at me a lot,” he said openly.

There was no point denying, he caught me every single time. “Yeah, I know.”

He gave me one of his signature smirks. But he soon stopped, his face adopting a serious, cautious expression. “I don’t have any idea why, though. I’m not that special.”

That was where he was wrong. He was the definition of an enigma. There was plenty of mystery surrounding him, it had the ability to draw a peron in. I was determined to figure him out, though.  For all he’s done and shared with me, I felt like it was obligation to understand him. I owed him that much.

It was hard to comprehend that I was the only person who knew about him. That had to imply something. Did it mean that he trusted me or was I the only person listening? Maybe I was. Maybe I wasn’t. Who knows?

“What’s on the menu?” I asked, directing the conversation some place else. I tried to seize the menu out of his hands, but he swiftly jerked it out of my reach.

 Zach had a mischievous glint in his eyes, with another one of his smirks plastered on his face. “Me - n - u.”

“That was terrible-”

“If you were on the McDonalds menu, you’d be the Mc-gorgeous,” he interrupted me, flexing his fingers.

I shot him a flat look. “How long have you been waiting to use those?”

“A while actually, never found the perfect time to use them.”

I laughed, shaking my head at him.