Chapter 30

Chapter Music: "Forever and Never" by Peter Gundry

At that everyone, myself included, gasped in shock. Seraphina wanted me dead?!

However, Astar ignored it and kept talking in a threatening tone: "Try something funny and I'll make you and everyone you care about suffer. And I won't simply slit your throats," he snickered. "You know me, after all."

"Seraphina, you didn't..." Mr. Stanwood murmured in disbelief.

"You tried to murder a student?! And, on top of that, without consulting with the rest of us?!" the principal was more enraged than stunned.

"I merely tried to put an end to this before it was too late! Look at this mess now! Who knows what'll happen to all of us?!" she tried to explain herself. Apparently, me being with Astar was considered a threat for some reason. It was evident that I lacked too much information.

"That's enough of you," Mr. Hibbert stated, in disgust. "I say we kick her out of the academy."

"So do you admit you allowed this murderer in here willingly for all this time?!" Seraphina snapped back.

"At least he was smart enough to tell us before we even signed that contract!" Mr. Ashford was clearly on Astar's side now. "I agree on your dismissal. It seems Mr. Mason's vote won't be needed."

"No..." she didn't seem to have expected such a development.

I took a step to the side and glimpsed at Astar's expression. He seemed to be enjoying the conflict with sadistic intensity. Somehow I found that smirk of his incredibly captivating.

"Why aren't you fighting now, witch?" Astar's mockery was a lot worse than the one directed at me on the day I'd met him. I was so glad I wasn't the one in front of him this time.

She only pursed her lips and glanced at the daggers in his hands. Perhaps she was reminding herself that this could easily get out of hand.

"There's nothing else to decide, is there?" Mr. Stanwood suggested with furrowed brows. He seemed as though he couldn't stay in this room a minute longer.

"I expect the three of you to be out of here until tomorrow," Mr. Ashford demanded solemnly.

At last, Astar spoke to me in a calmer voice: "Sophia, do you mind leaving the academy with me?"

Not only is he asking for my consent but he also said my name! 

Would he leave that place for me or did he have reasons of his own? As for me, that was the wisest choice for the time being. Without a person to trust, I would surely have a hard time surviving out there on my own. In any case, I was overjoyed I got to be with him! In the end, things went better than I imagined.

"Yes. Thanks for asking for my opinion," I smiled even though he couldn't see it.

"It's not like you could have an opinion on this anyway," Seraphina told me coldly.

"Think again," Astar threatened in an arrogant tone. "You know I don't mind slaughtering you all and seizing the campus for myself."

"So you'd slaughter her too?" Seraphina protested with an enigmatic remark. "Sophia, this is the kind of man you like?!"

"Yes," I answered right away.

I would lie to myself if I claimed that I found his mental state completely sane. But I still believed in his views because, to an extent, they were the same as mine. Besides, if Astar was considered insane, then I too shared a part of his mind: I too might have enjoyed seeing him take his – my – revenge on her. There was no doubt that I could be as cruel as him in some ways.