Chapter 14: Stranger in the night

Mel completely disregarded my warning. She's still seeing Stefan.

He has made a habit of coming over quite often even after I kicked him out. It happens when I'm not home. If not, he keeps Mel out late into the night. On one occasion I walked in on them having sex in my kitchen. It was disturbing, particularly because Bas was in the living room probably seeing them but as much as he wouldn't remember, it annoyed me. It was disrespectful. I sort of understood how my father must have felt when he walked in on Nick and I in my bedroom.

I made a mental note to talk to her about it and probably ask her to choose between Stefan and living here because I dint want that man around.

So like the twenty year old mother I have become, I made a list of the reasons why I don't like Stefan. For starters he is a bad person. I remember him well from the club. He is also way older than Mel. I would peg Stefan to be in his late twenties if not early thirties. I have nothing against age difference but this is wrong. She is underage and naive about life. In my opinion Stefan is just taking advantage of her. Stefan gives bad vibes. I can see danger in the man's eyes. I'm scared for Mel, myself and Bas.

Whether these are good enough reasons to talk Mel out of her sudden interest in hi, I am not sure but it is a starting point. I have set Bas down to sleep and checked the clock. It is almost eleven o'clock in the night. She should be home by now. The holidays are ongoing with people singing Christmas carols in the streets. I watched them from the terrace at the same time trying to keep a look out for Mel; a girl I have come to view as my little sister. I am simply worried and I hope she will see things my way. I caught the fancy red winter coat Stefan got her and immediately spotted them walking towards our apartment building.

I straightened my pose probably wondering if this is the kind of mother I would make if I ever have a daughter of my own. Will I be spending sleepless nights waiting up for her like I am Mel? It isn't that Mel is way older than I am. Our age difference is just three years but I feel protective towards her.

They stopped at the entrance downstairs and made out like they are alone in the street. It pains me to watch her getting sucked in that fast. Wayne has always told me that I am a great judge of character. As much as that has failed with Cole, I hope it isn't failing with Stefan. Something about him is just off. It doesn't sit right with me and I can no longer ignore it.

After they had made out to their fill, Mel made her way upstairs but Stefan didn't. He looked up at me, our eyes meeting and locking in a deathly gaze. I held it staring down at him from the second floor like my life depended on it. He suddenly smiled at me and blew me a kiss sending a chill through me that had nothing to do with the cold winter night. I responded by showing him my middle finger before I returned back to the warmth of the apartment in time to catch Mel walking in.

"Hey." I greeted her knowing how pissed she is at me for trying to talk some sense into her. She ignored me, taking off her jacket and hanging it on the coat rack. "Mel."

"What? I didn't invite him up!"

"It's not that, I am just worried about you."

Her brown eyes became defiant. "No offense but you're just jealous I'm getting laid and you're not getting any."

If I wanted sex I could get plenty from any man I please given my track record as a temptress. The little girl has nothing on me. "Screw you." I told her. "I hope he hurts you then you'll see what I'm trying to tell you."

So it has probably escalated quickly but she started it. I am only trying to help her.

"You know what, I don't need to put up with your melodrama.  I'm moving in with Stefan. His house is way bigger and we can do what we want without you leering over us like a curse."