One: The Encounter

The wind softly whisked in a snow embroidered flurry as it rushed through the alleys of the town. It was nearly Christmas, and there were lights and food and the sound of laughter everywhere.

Except, that is, in Sabrina's heart. It only reminded her that she was an outcast with no place to call home. She couldn't even ask for help. Exiled by her pack for disrespecting the Alpha (that is, speaking up when her little sister was being harmed by one of the Deltas), and unable to reliably hide her nature enough to be with humans, she was truly alone.

She'd been human once. She was attacked while hiking and life as she knew it ended. She rebuilt a home, a family, purpose, and now all was ripped away. She was forbidden from returning or having contact.

She had hid in the woods in her wolf form, but she was slowly going mad with no connection to human or were. She had snuck out in some decent clothes, only to realize that her efforts were futile. She couldn't be human again, and she couldn't be were without a pack.

She curled around herself for warmth, staring at the glittering street, when she suddenly smelled something...wonderful.

***

Vincent snarled bitterly to himself. One of the oldest and most respected vampires in the country, and he'd been kicked out of his own coven for nothing. All because an idiot he turned had to go on a rampage. He'd taught the boy better. He was going to one of his many secret dwellings tomorrow, but tonight he needed blood.

Vincent froze, letting out a hiss as one of the most delicious smells he had ever encountered was blown towards him. It smelled like woodland flowers and icy air. As if he didn't have any control over himself, he blurred through the streets. The scent was strongest at the entrance of a dangerous looking alley. Suddenly, he paused.

A young woman was curled up on the ground, her body covered in scars and clothed in a very thin coat. Her starved frame was shaking with cold.

She leaped to her feet and spun around to face him, clearly expecting to be attacked. Her eyes were a light blue with gold flecks, giving away her Werewolf status. They looked like two beautiful ice flowers, he thought.

Vincent felt a mixture of desire, hunger, and bizarre protectiveness well up in him at the sight. She was beautiful and brave; most creatures would never dare to face him, but she would fight inspite of her weakness and the fact that weres and vampires were natural enemies.

"Don't be afraid. I won't hurt you. Do you need some help?"

***

Sabrina was sure she was dreaming. Or her wolf had gone batty. She wasn't sure which. She had smelled something lovely like tree resin and caramel, and literally seconds later she sprung to protect herself from an attack from a vampire.

A vampire who apparently didn't want to hurt her, a vampire who was being gentle, a vampire whose smell made her weak in the knees.

The instant their eyes met, her wolf howled the word 'Mine!'. She wanted him so badly that she quivered all over...

Then, she forced herself out of it. This was a vampire and thus a mortal enemy, and while not many had the power some of the elders could hypnotize in order to get food more easily. This mating pull was probably fake.

"Who are you and what do you want?" She growled, dragging her feet back. Even if she had told herself he was dangerous, her wolf wasn't listening. Which could only meant she needed to leave immediately.

"Vincent Dawkins, at your service," he said, making a courtly bow. "I like your spirit, but I think I already told you wouldn't come to harm. What's yours, pretty wolf?"