Chapter 1: A Hunter's Mission (Excerpt)

A/N: Hi, everyone on Wattpad and beyond! This is my first story on this website and it's the first book of The Hunters Trilogy - previously known as the Antoinette Drake, Vampire Hunter Trilogy! Feedback is greatly encouraged and appreciated! Thanks again for reading, and enjoy the story! :D

Chapter 1: A Hunter's Mission

   Why did I always have the dangerous missions?

  Oh, yeah... because I loved the thrill like some adrenaline junkie.

   That's it.

   I just loved the exhilarating feeling of shooting a vampire in the head with wooden bullets and staking them right in the heart. It's what I've lived for all of my teenage life... If you can't tell, I'm being sarcastic.

   My name's Antoinette Drake, Toni to my friends... I mean, allies, whatever.

   I always seemed to get the hard missions; the missions that made everything that much more difficult. Not that I'm complaining or anything...

   Oh, wait. I was.

   Why? It never dawned on me that my constant risk-taking occupation was bad for my health. Who knew, right?

   Vampire hunters are supposed to be fearless, non-stop killing machines; kind of like the beasts they swear to destroy. Or at least capture.

   That's my occupation: vampire hunting, in case you were wondering.

   Now, I didn't choose to be a vampire hunter. No one does, I think. Trust me, there's not a "How to Be a Vampire Hunter 101" class you can take in college.

   Believe me, I checked.

   I was sucked unwillingly into this job after my parents died at the hands of a vampire. Cliche-sounding, I know. My sister, Liz, and I were forced to watch our parents die. In the end, I recalled more details of the attack than my little sister. Liz didn't even remember what the vampire who killed them looked like. She was lucky. I remembered all too well, and I would never forget that face. It constantly haunted my dreams, even to this day.

   This whole job was sparked by vengeful thinking and holding grudges.

   Go figure.

   So, here I was today, bearing multiple scars from the past and slowly trudging toward my next hazardous mission, The Blood Diamond Nightclub. Spiffy name, huh?

   I hated it.

   It's not just because of the too-obvious name of the club itself or because of its also-too-obvious motto: We promise to raise your pulse. Just ask.

   No, I mainly hated the club because of the owner, Henri Sinclair, who just happened to be one of the richest vampires in New York City.

   Yeah, that's right, a vampire.

   I just gave you a heads up in case you ever think about going to The Blood Diamond.

   You're welcome!

    Just take my advice: don't go alone. Or at all, really.

   If you don't mind being bitten and probably drained dry, then be my guest.

   Or really theirs.

   Rule #1: never ever look a vampire in the eye no matter what. I don't care if that's considered a rude gesture and it'll ruin your family honor or something like that. Your safety should be more important. Eye contact is how they can control your mind, dummy.