He's a What???

At first, I was hesitant to leaving the human world. Seeing Adalrik was one of my main purposes, but listening to the middle aged woman's story made me realize that maybe this world isn't what's for me.

As I was getting ready to go back to the sea, I couldn't help but admire the beauty of the human world. The smell of the salty sea air and the cold breeze that hugs my body felt very refreshing. The night sky filled with stars and the constellations that almighty father Zeus created in the heavens was something that you don't see in Atlantis.

After a few minutes on debating whether I should just go back home or be the same rebellious child I always was, I decided that being a little rebel is more fun. As long as I don't get myself caught. I mean, I just want to take a small peek at Adalrik. Just a tiny little peek.

A revelation occurred to me. I smacked my head. Good job, Ursula! That's when I realized that I have no clue where Adalrik lives! I let out a big sigh and looked at the sea. "Looks like I might as well go back."

All of a sudden, I felt a familiar presence from behind, watching me. "Ursula?" It was the same voice that brought shivers down my spine. Why now, my handsome human? I blushed and took deep breaths trying to calm myself down before confronting him.

I slowly turned around once I'm ready and there he was. Still as handsome as the time I saved him from the ship wreck. His adonis features would definitely break the curse that was bestowed upon Narcissus, creating a new curse to fall in love with Adalrik's beauty. Okay... I think I over exaggerated that, but he's so handsome, period!

A smile crept in his face as soon as he noticed that it was me. His eyes moved down to my legs and he was astonished to see them. "How?"

I looked down on my legs, examining it. "Long story."

"What are you doing here?" He asked, curiously. We sat on the sand and that's when I explained the story that my aunt told me about my biological mother and that she is residing in the human world with my abusive father. I also told him about the war between man and merman. "So, you're here searching for your mother?"

That, too. I thought to myself. My eyes fell at the cold, soft sand. "That was one of the reasons why I came here, but sadly, upon arriving, I've already received bad news that she passed away."

"I'm so sorry."

"Don't be. You didn't do anything wrong." I quickly interrupted him. I honestly don't like it when someone apologizes for something that wasn't their mistake. Why do that?

We remained quiet for a few minutes and as we did, we gazed up at the starry night sky. There were a few falling stars here and there, and it was absolutely breathtaking. My skin began to feel cold which Adalrik began to notice. He wrapped his arms around me, pulling me closer. The smell of his sweet, honey scent filled my nostrils as I enjoy ever single moment of it. I gave myself some courage and snuggled closer. My heart started pounding so loud, it makes me embarrassed if he could hear it.

Every time I think of this human, it makes me wonder why I feel this way. Until tonight, that's when I realize that I love him. As crazy as it sounds, I love someone I barely met. I looked up him, thinking... wondering if he feels the same way. "You know what's crazy?" He finally breaks the silence between us.

I was still wrapped around his arms, enjoying his warmth. He waited for my response, not breaking the space between us. "What is?" I wondered.

"Since the last time we saw each other, it was weird. I was very sure that I will never see you again. That's what I told myself every time you would pop into my mind. My best friend, Alexius, wondered the same. He also told me that there was a glint of affection in my eyes... which, I told him that he was being delusional." He chuckled, getting all nervous. He coughed, trying to keep his composure around me. "I thought about what he said, and..."

He pulled us apart. Aww, man. Adalrik. Just when I was getting comfortable. As much as I wanted to roll my eyes and pout for him to bring me back, I choose not too. Dear, dear Ursula. What has happened to you?

He looked into my eyes with his blue orbs. "...and I think I'm falling in love with you." I felt like I could die of happiness at any moment. I couldn't believe that he feels the same for me.

Yes, I really couldn't believe it. I started remembering what my aunt and the woman that I met earlier told me. What if he was just playing tricks with me? I pulled my hands away from him and frowned. "Call me crazy, but I feel the same way-"

"That's great, then-"

"I'm not finished." I gave him a straight face. He focused his attention on me. "I just mentioned to you of my abusive father: how he made my mother fall in love with him, tricked her, and tortured her. To be honest, I feel hesitant. Adalrik, don't get me wrong. What I feel for you is love, I will not lie, but we just met. Let's take it slow. And not only that, you will have to think about it. I am a mermaid and you're a human. Me being in the human world will result to punishment. If we are seen together, only the Fates will know what will happen."

Adalrik realized the tension between merman and man, and it was something he never knew from the looks of his face. "My father never told me about the world of mermaids. He always told me that it was a myth."

I let out a small chuckle. "Maybe he just hasn't seen a mermaid before."

"That's not it." His expression became serious. "See, there is something that I've never mentioned to you, well, it's because I thought that it wasn't worth mentioning. But now that you've decided to take things slow-"

"I've decided?" I smirked at him.

He smiled. "Well, I want to." I nodded in agreement.

"So, what was it that you wanted to tell me?" I asked. He continued.

"I am... a prince."