Ten

She closed her eyes. Even if she had time to look around it didn't matter.

The water welcomed her. It splashed up over her and pulled her down. Her saturated cloth-covering made her feel heavy. Her eyes remained shut. She held her breath and waited for the end.

She floated to the surface, face-up and  looked to the robins egg blue sky. A storm was coming. She could hear the thunder booming in the distance. The clouds formed a vignette in her vision. She closed her eyes and listened.

"Hey, girl. Stay there we'll get you out. Just stay calm."

The officers voice set off alarms in her mind, loud resonating bells that shook her insides. It was time to go.

She turned over and swam to the shore. She stumbled to the sand and pressed her forehead to the beach for a moment. Her eyes almost didn't open again. She needed to get more sleep and she had to find something to eat before she passed out.

She forced herself up from the comfortable spot. She ran for the woods and followed them until she found a house with no vehicles and no sign that anyone was home.

She snuck through the kitchen window above the sink, that had been left open a crack. She slumped down onto the counter and toppled over to the tiled floor.

She started by searching the fridge and cupboards for anything she could eat. A loaf of bread next to the fridge was the fastest thing she could find. She picked up the bag and kept it with her. She took out pieces and shoved them into her mouth whole. She swallowed and took a glass from the dish rack. She filled it at the sink and drank it.

She brought her cup and the bag of bread into the living room and laid down on the couch. She ate two more pieces of bread and finished her glass of water. She rested her head on the soft cushions and let herself fade into a dreaming state.

She heard lightening strike. It didn't sound close. The back of her eyelids lit up. Her body convulsed. The pain she was was already in tripled.

"Don't fall asleep." Marcus's whispered.

She rolled off the couch and shuffled to the wall. When she looked over her surroundings she remembered where she was. The sun was setting and the room looked unfamiliar. She had been asleep for sometime.

She heard a banging sound from inside the house.