Chapter Sixty One

Is that- a ladder?

I almost cry with relief as I grab my backpack and push my way through the opening. I can feel the jagged rock cutting my arms, legs, stomach, and even cheek but I couldn't care. I might be almost home.

Once I'm able to squeeze my way through the rock wall, I tilt my head back, looking up at the ceiling above the ladder. The end is stuck diagonally across the room into the corner, and the ceiling seems fairly solid, except for one hole. That hole is my target.

I pull my flashlight out of my back pocket and point it up at the hole above me. I look up at it, worried, but I can't let the negativity drag me back down. I'm almost there. Just a little bit further.

I whip around and rush back to grab the shovel and stack a pile of rocks at my feet. I reach up on my tip toes and stretch my arms up to try and hit the hole with the shovel, but it just barely skims the ceiling. I sigh in frustration and drop the shovel next to me, putting my head in my hands in frustration. I shake my head.

I'm done wasting time.

I scoot the rock pile back a bit with my foot until I'm at about a place where I can throw the rocks at the hole at about a forty five degree angle.

I pick up one of the stones, draw my arm back, and chuck it at the ceiling. Some dust comes off of it, and then-

Nothing.

"Damn it, why-" I start but I'm cut off by another loud rumbling coming from straight above me. I scream and dart to the other side of the room as the ceiling begins to topple me as it concaves from its place. I throw myself onto my knees in the furthest corner of the room and cover my head with my arms to protect myself. I can feel the debris pelting my arms and back as the ceiling dissipates above me. Once the roaring noise dies down, I slowly uncover my face.

The ceiling is completely gone, and right outside of it's the maze. My eyes begin to adjust, just as they did when I first came up out of the box, and just like then, I see a shadowy figure come into sight.