1. Practical Lessons Go Wrong ... Again

Here's a free tip for you: don't ask to be a half-blood.

The perks are brilliant, like travelling the world and seeing Mount Olympus, but make one wrong move and you will be sent to the Underworld the hard way. And not knowing who the parent who has been MIA your whole life is, despite knowing you have siblings in your vicinity? That's the worst part.

This is the story of my first year knowing that I was a demigod.

---------

My story started in a private boarding institute, called Rosalind High School For The Gifted. Sounds pleasant, right? I mean, it's not everyday that you go to a high school for 'gifted' people. I suppose you'd be right in saying it, because the school was beautiful, with its castle-like buildings and warm rooms ... until I supposedly blew it up. Why did they blame me, as per usual?

Because I'm Lucia Hanson, an eighth grader, fourteen years old in September, and I'm a 'special child'. Meaning, I have ADD as well as asthma and other problems, despite the fact that I'm probably the smartest person in my grade. And I'm the odd one out in looks, as well; I have pale skin, stormy-blue eyes and jet-black hair. If I made an effort, I would apparently be very pretty. But I don't, so yeah.

But surely your parents would help you with your mental challenges, I know that you're thinking right now. But you're wrong. My dad? He is one of those rich lawyers who only think about their jobs. Seriously, my step-mother has been pretty much my only available parent since she married my dad when I was three. Emily - which is her name - is nice and all, but doesn't really get me. And my real mom? She vanished without a trace just after I was born. She's probably dead by now.

So that's why. Now let's find out how exactly I blew up the school.

I had been running to my first class for the new year, PE practical, not wanting to be late for one of my favourite classes, when I heard a noise coming from the library. It didn't sound ... human. So, skidding to a stop, I looked at the library. It should be open by now, I thought, glancing down at the silver watch on my right wrist. I walked up to the doors, and pushed on it lightly with my left hand. As my heart began to beat quickly, I peered into the place. All the lights were off. Mrs Wortir never leaves the door unlocked. The thought occured to me with startling clarity, as I pictured our small, quiet librarian in my mind. Fair-haired and with startlingly grey eyes, she was a gentle but stubborn lady. The one that taught me how to debate, and speak my mind in a tactful way.

But, as I peered into the darkened library, mentally debating with myself whether I should go and investigate, I felt a hand on my shoulder. I spun around, eyes widening, but relaxed as I saw that it was Will. "Oh thank heavens, Will, I thought you were the headmaster."

Will, whose real name was William Teak, raised his eyebrows. He had dark brown hair, even darker eyes, and an odd limp. "Me, headmaster? Ha, I'd love to see that. We need to get to PE, now." Will had an odd, bleating laugh, kind of like a goat.

Suddenly, it was my turn to raise my eyebrows, but I nodded. "You're right, I suppose." I knew how much Will, who was only two days off my exact age, liked being in class on time. I'd known him since sixth grade, where we had instantly become friends on his first day.

But before I could think about what that meant to me, the sound of the old bell tolling said that we had to go- now. The pair of us dashed across the grounds towards the oval, where our class was only just assembling for roll call. We made it into our lines just as our instructor, Mr Dorea, called out, "Lucia Evans!"

"Present!" I squeaked in reply, and then took a deep breath. That was close. I wonder if-

My train of thought was cut off by an explosion. "What the-?" I gasped, my eyes widening at the ball of flame that had been the library just a few seconds ago. The class erupted into chaos, and I couldn't help but think, Please let Mrs Wortir be okay. But, whether she was okay or not, I had a sinking feeling that I would be the one to blame, whether I exploded the library or not.

A flash of movement caught my eye, distracting me, and I saw the class clown - a scrawny, impish-looking Latino guy who I didn't know very well - jump the fence and vanish. I felt a ghostly smile appear on my face as I recalled his name. Leo Valdez. Didn't think he'd run, but I hope he ends up okay, I thought, a million thoughts and scenarios running through my mind as my gaze darted around the oval. None of them were good. I fidgeted in my place, tapping my foot slightly and twirled a strand of hair in my hand. It helped a little, but I was still relieved when Will ran over. "Luce. They're evacuating the school, let's go."