Chapter 36

Havens, one of Ben's men, cracked open the window a bit to see what was happening outside. "There's at least three more of them. And they stole the money."

"Then why don't they just leave?" Ben pondered our loud.

"They are here to kill us all." Caleb said quietly, accepting defeat.

Havens opened his mouth to say something but he never got to finish because he was shot through the open window.

"Queen's Rangers... we are basically dead." Said the other man whose name Isabella didn't know.

"No we're not." Isabella said, standing taller. "They clearly don't have a strategy on their side or we would all be dead by now, but we aren't. We can make an easy escape if we all put our brains together."

"Miss Washington is right." Ben said, smiling at Isabella. "I've had worse odds."

"Well we better hurry and think of a way out because I think they plan on smoking us out like rats," the unknown man said after looking through a slat in the window.

Ben then eyed a hatch of some sort in the floor. He opened it up and looked at everybody with a grin. "It's a tunnel they leads under the mill and to the outside. With this, somebody can sneak behind them and create a flank."

"Yeah, that'll work well with our five versus their eight." The man said with a sneer.

"Actually, our six to their eight." Caleb piped up, gesturing to the dead man on the floor.

Isabella shared a knowing smile with Ben. They knew exactly what Caleb meant.

"I'll sneak behind their lines." Abe offered.

Everybody was surprised but nobody objected. If anybody had the heart to shoot a man right now, it would be Abe out of pure revenge.

Ben nodded and everybody set out to work. Isabella kept guard while Abe snuck through the tunnel and Ben helped Caleb with the dead body.

After ten minutes, everything was all set up, they were just waiting for the signal from Abe.

"We can't wait much longer," Isabella said.

Ben nodded and handed a gun to each remaining man. He turned to Isabella and put his hands on her shoulders. "Would you listen to me if I told you to hide in the cellar and wait for me to come get you?"

"Absolutely not."

He smiled. The Isabella that he knew and loved was back.

He handed her a gun. "Take the window in the attic and target them from above." He told her.

She smiled and ran to the attic where she could see almost everything.

Without warning, Ben kicked open the door and reveal the corpse to the Rangers. As they shot at the dead body, Ben, Caleb, and the remaining man charged at them while Abe fired from the back.

A man targeted Caleb and Isabella used her vantage point to stop him before he could further hurt Caleb. While most everybody was preoccupied, a ranger ran off with the bag of money in his hand. Abe followed after him down to the beach.