6. Cura te Ipsum

'Cura te Ipsum': 'take care of your own self' - an exhortation to physicians, or experts in general, to deal with their own problems before addressing those of others.

{ 20:19 - Yokohama Southern Bayline (Yokohama, Japan) }

Lining the bay was an endless stretch of warehouses, all belonging to the Port Mafia. Not one of them had a single speck of graffiti on them. No graffiti artist is so stupid.
If you had keen vision, you could see armed guards shrouded in darkness, keeping watch over their illicit goods in storage houses disguised as normal ones, though it fooled no one. This was the red zone of things both below and above the law.

I strolled along the bayline, hands shoved in my pockets, basking in the warm ocean breeze. One, two, three more warehouses until I reached the right one. I passed guards, who stiffened as they saw me. They recognized me; knew exactly who I was and how much value I held. If they were to shoot me, they and their families would be dead within the hour. I was a priceless asset to Chuuya Nakahara, their boss and overseer of this port.

I approached the man guarding the storage house with confidence. I knew Chuuya's schedule, and he always checked his goods before going home.

"Is he here?" I asked. Startled, the man shook his head.
"He's finishing up some business right now, but the boss will back soon to check on his assets. Would you like me to call h -"
"- Don't bother. I'll wait for him inside."

The man's eyes grew wide.
"I'm sorry, but I can't do that. The boss would kill me if I did."

I scowled, and reluctantly switched on my ability. Idiot.

Hideki Otsuma
Age: 31
Ability: None
Relevant Information: Stole 70,000 yen worth of ivory and sold it to a friend (Satou Yamaguchi) on the black market a year ago. Pinned the theft on his subordinate (deceased).

"Open the door and let me through, unless you want Chuuya knowing about that stolen ivory. Your boss isn't known for being forgiving."

He turned a ghastly shade of white.

"How... right. Of course." he said, lowering his head. "Forgive me." He pulled out his keys and passively unlocked the building's side door.

"Thank you, sir." I said, and managed an apologetic look. "Don't tell Chuuya I'm here when he arrives, or he'll kill you on the spot. He won't harm you if I tell him not to." I swung open the rusting door and walked in.

"Y-Yes! Thank you, you're very kind!"

I rolled my eyes, but it didn't mask the smile on my face as the door wrenched shut. Poor guy. I switched on the lights, to see a grand motherload of illegally imported guns, ammo, furskins, and of course, drugs. I couldn't name all of them if I tried. Everything besides cigarettes and alcohol are banned upon entering the Port Mafia and the price of getting caught with other substances is more often than not fatal, but the underground drug trade is what financed their escapades.

Mildly curious, I inspected the contents of the place to pass time. One box alone must be worth at least ten million yen, and there were countless boxes. If only the Armed Detectives could see this.

Halfway through sifting past piles of what appeared to be some kind of explosive, the door creaked, and I paused. That didn't take long.

I didn't even have time to fully process his arrival before Chuuya's hand was on my throat and I was slammed against the wall. His eyes were wild and feral, filled with unbridled rage.

"(Y/n)?! What the hell are you doing here without permission?! I'll kill you, for breaking into my warehouse! What did you take?!"

I went limp. Despite his talk, there was no pressure on my throat.