Suburbia

We say that our lives - our own lives begin at eighteen, when we're old enough to make decisions for ourselves, to make lifelong choices. But the truth is, every choice we make affects our lives. We're in control for every single moment.

Sometimes, I wonder why I haven't done something crazy, like in the movies. Maybe they didn't feel the control. Maybe they knew how to let go. Maybe someone showed them how.

My window pane rattled, shaking me from my reverie. I walked over, sliding up the second floor window.

"Aria, what are you doing here?" I asked, pressing my face against the netted surface. She'd climbed up to the window, idly tapping the glass with her index finger.

Aria was one of those people who could let go. She only wore a black jacket against brisk winter air. Her knee high boots were scuffed, old and dirty, but she wore them as if they were 24 karat Adidas. She was the last person I expected to be at my window at night.

She tilted her head away from me. "Get a jacket. It's cold." She turned away from me, waiting.

I grabbed my jacket. I could walk downstairs, be who she thought I was. Be another undead suburban teen. I returned to the windowsill.

I punched a hand through the netting, breaking it wide enough to slip through. Aria's eyes widened in surprise, but she smirked as I sat down beside her.

"Maybe you aren't as boring as you think you are." She commented, looking at house after identical house.

It was frigid outside, the winter air amplified by icy winds. Aria's jet black hair blew with it. She looked at me again, challenge bright in her eyes. "Try to keep up." She slid off the roof, rolling to her feet. For a moment, I swear my heart dropped to the Mariana Trench.

Eyes squeezed shut, I followed her.

I landed with bent knees, but the impact still hurt. Aria was walking backwards, grinning.

I began to jog, trying to catch up with her. Along with Mostly Boring, I could aslo put Bad Runner on my resume.

She sped up a little every time I got within ten feet.

I don't know for how long we ran- It felt like no time had passed, and yet I recognized nothing of where we were when I took my focus off Aria.

We stopped on a bridge.

The moon illuminated our faces, Aria's dark skin flushed attractively from the exercise. I, however, probably looked like a steamed radish.

"You can run." She commented, walking back towards me.

"Badly." I agreed. I stood still, one hand on the railing.

Her mouth quirked into a smile. "Perhaps." Three steps between us. She paused, dark eyes meeting mine. She nodded.

I took a step forward.

And another. And another.

Maybe they knew how to let go.

I closed the distance between us.

Maybe someone showed them how.