Literal During the War Stories from Steve

It took them three hours to coax Peggy out of the bathroom, but when they did, it wasn't what they particularly wanted to see. She looked so broken, so hurt. She looked like she was about to breakdown again. Everyone could see the pain in her eyes and on her face, but Steve managed to see beyond that to a much deeper pain that he knew all too well. It was a pain that he'd become dependant on for a while. A pain that he used to remember he was alive.

They had immediately settled Peggy down and waited for her to get comfy on the couch with multiple fluffy blankets, one of Thor's oversized hoodies, a pair of Nat's yoga pants and one of Clint's signature hot chocolates. After an hour or so of sitting around watching reruns of Gossip Girl in silence, Tony decided that it was time for everyone to go home: he needed time with his daughter and the usual residence of his household. They said their farewells and all gave Peggy their best wishes and left. Tony had sat with them for another hour, but eventually looked like he was about to launch himself into the TV. Peggy placed her hand on her dads leg and looked at him, slightly amused.

"Dad, why don't you go tinker for a little while. It's been a few days since you've been down there." She smiled, telling him to go do something he liked. He looked at her with a pleading look on his face, silently asking if she was sure. She nodded a little and gave him a small kiss on the cheek, struggling against all of the blankets. He told her he loved her and got up, walking behind the sofa and placing one last kiss to his daughters head.

By now she had gotten comfortable, using the super soldier next to her as a pillow. They were currently watching The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas whilst Steve pointed out everything that was historically incorrect about the movie. She rolled her eyes every time he did, but enjoyed the fact that he could get lost in something so much that he forgot about his own mental state.

"Now that is a lie, they would've had guards all around those fences, that boy would've never been allowed to even touch them, he wouldn't have even been allowed to breathe near them." He shook his head, waving his hand dismissively at the TV. She laughed and patted his shoulder.

"Calm down, grandpa, it's just a film." She teased, poking his side. He laughed lightly and pushed her hand away. Then the room got silent. Too silent. It made her realise that there was something wrong and Steve needed to get something off his chest. "What is it?" She asked, looking directly at him. He didn't break his eyes away from the TV for a second, shaking his head. "Steven, you can't lie to me. I grew up around you, you're practically my second father." She pointed out, to which Steve sighed and wiped a hand over his face. He looked down at her for a second before turning to face her fully.

"I just feel so bad. That guy had no right to say that. He doesn't know you, he doesn't know what you've done, he doesn't know the relationships you've had. It's just not fair. Why do people feel the need to be so cruel? What do they get out of it?" He sulked. He hated it so much, but he didn't want to overstep and tell her that she should lay low for now. He hadn't earned that right yet. 

"Clearly a concussion." She mumbled to herself. Steve looked down in shame and sighed. "Steve, you put him in the hospital, i think he learned his lesson." She smiled as she patted his shoulder. She laid her head on his arm and threw some of her blankets over him, pulling him into a hug. 

"Yeah i know, but that's not the point. He shouldn't have been allowed to say it in the first place." He muttered. 

"What do you plan on doing? Sewing everyone's mouths shut?" She rolled her eyes and laughed. She yawned a little and he moved his arm from under her head to around her shoulders, moving the rest of his body so that she wouldn't get a neck ache when she got up. 

"If that's what it takes." He mumbled angrily, pouting. Peggy rolled her eyes again and slowly closed them. 

"Quit being a big baby." She slurred before deciding that it was time for sleep. "Take a nap before you bust a hip." She mumbled, snuggling more into his side, letting him move his arm around her before getting fully comfortable. 

"I'm not that old." He whispered, trying not to laugh at her. She just growled sleepily in response. "Goodnight, Peggy." He whispered, leaning down to place a small kiss to the top of her head before shifting into a more comfortable position and closing his own eyes, realising now that it was probably a good time for a nap. 

It was at least a few hours before Tony remembered to check on the two, not actually realising how much time had passed since he left them. He yawned as he made his way round his lab, saying goodnight to all of his robots, patting them gently as he turned them off. He jogged up the stairs, trying not to make too much sound. As he strolled into the living room, he found Clint turning off all of the lights and technology. 

"Um excuse me," Tony started, a little shocked. "Clint fucking Barton, what are you doing in my house?" He asked. Clint stopped dead with a remote in one hand and a blanket in the other. 

"Oh, there you are." He smiled widely. "I thought i'd come and check on everyone." He stated confidently. Tony took a few more steps towards him and blinked a few timed. 

"How did you get past my security systems?" He asked, more offended that Clint had actually managed to fool his technology rather than the actual fact that he had broken into his house. Clint placed the remote on the table and gently flopped the blanket on the two sleeping forms on the sofa that somehow fused into one person. 

"A) I'm a well trained assassin with way more use than you guys give me credit for and B) I know you and the way you think, it's kind of my speciality to observe...hence the name...Hawkeye..." he smiled nervously. Tony looked taken aback, but understanding at the same time. 

"Right...well, you wanna stay the night? There's more than enough room at the Inn." He asked as he walked around the sofa. Clint pondered for a second as he pulled out his phone. 

"I probably shouldn't even attempt to get home at this hour." He weighed up the pros and cons of leaving now as he took a picture of Steve and Peggy. "It would be best if i did say." He nodded. Tony agreed and nodded back. They both fell silent, watching the pair on the sofa breathe in unison as they both snuggled into the fluffy blanket that had been placed over them. 

"You know i have a picture of them like this when Peggy was only three?" Tony smiled, pointing to them. Clint smiled alongside him, remembering the first time he met Peggy. 

"Are you okay?" Clint asked turning towards Tony, who looked worn down. Tony took in a deep breath and turned to the archer. 

"Nope." He admitted. Clint put a friendly hand on his shoulder and guided him out of the room and towards the stairs. 

"You try and get some rest, i'll take care of everything for now, just relax." He squeezed his shoulder as they began to climb the stairs. 

"I can't let you do that, that's asking too much." Tony replied shaking his head. 

"No it's not. I'm here for you like you're here for everyone else." He began, not giving Tony a chance to argue back. "You're constantly putting everyone else before yourself, even if you don't know them. You need to stop and take time for yourself. Peggy's all grown up, Steve's back and on the mend, Peter's back with his aunt, you have no one depending on you at the moment. Take a day or two, spend it sleeping, in your lab, do whatever you want. I'm here as long as you need." Clint smiled as they arrived at Tony's bedroom door. "Take Happy or Rhodes out for the day or something, do something for yourself for once." Tony nodded, weighing up his options. 

"Thank you." He mumbled, patting Clint's arm as he turned and opened his door. "I'd tell you where the spare bedroom is, but you've probably found it already." He joked as he turned to say goodnight. 

"I'll see you in the morning, Tony."