Prologue

Dragons are powerful. That much has always been known. Some can harness fire or ice in their breath, lightning or mist in their wings, or earth or water in their claws. Others have scales that crackle with energy or glow with magic. They can live in mountains, forests, deserts, and a thousand other places besides. Dragons are undoubtedly powerful. But are they hatched that way, or must they grow into it? What determines their abilities? What are the secrets of these mysterious beings? I must learn more.... The egg I found will hatch soon. I will observe this hatchling as it grows, and keep a record of my findings. Hopefully I will find the answers to some of my questions, at least.

-From the journal of Professor Julien, noted dracologist (current whereabouts unknown)

Silver scales glittered as a dragon stepped into the sun from the darkness of the cliffside cave. Her eyes, like tiny moons, or orbs of quicksilver, narrowed as she scanned the terrain. Apparently satisfied that the sunlit forest held no danger, she brushed back her maroon-red hair— a stark contrast to the silver scales on her hand— and began to make her way down the mossy slope to a sparkling pool. Perching on a rocky outcrop, she leaned down and collected some of the water, the cool, clear liquid rippling as she dipped her hands in, then raised it to her lips, letting it slide down her throat. A few moments passed, then the dragon raised her head suddenly, her tufted ears flicking back. Slowly, she spread her wings, ready to take off.

An arrow whizzed through the air, just above the dragon's crouched form. Another shot from the other direction, simultaneously. The dragon sprang upward, then realized why the arrows hadn't hit her as she collided with the two stretched-tight ropes criss-crossing the air above where she'd been perched. With a sharp twang, the ropes snapped her back onto the outcrop. She winced as the air was knocked from her lungs. A human strode out of the bushes, bow in hand, and she hissed at him, baring her sharp fangs.

"A mist dragon." The human spoke to his yet-unseen companion, but kept his gaze on the dragon. "I don't think the arena's seen one of these yet." The dragon raised herself to hands and knees and began to inch backward. Another arrow streaked the air, its point narrowly missing her wing as it planted in the ground beside her. The rope it was tied on pressed down across her back as whoever was on the other end pulled it to the ground.

"Careful with your gloating," said the second human, a female. "We don't want her to escape." The dragon hissed again and clawed at the rope, freeing herself and springing forward in an attempt to escape. In the instant the dragon hit the air, the female human fired a blow-dart. It pierced the dragon's shoulder, and she fell, rolling down the bank and hitting the water's edge with a small splash. As the dart's sleeping drug took effect, the two humans strode down to her. With her glowing eyes shut, she looked almost like an ordinary 15-year-old girl— provided one discounted her ears, horns, wings, tail, and the scales on her arms and legs.

"She'll fight well," said the male human, "if that escape attempt is any indication."

Bending down, the female bound the dragon tightly in rope and lifted her over her shoulder. "Let's go. We have our new contender, and we don't want to be out here at night."

Hello, Wattpad! Eclipse here. I hope you liked that little prologue I wrote. In case you're wondering, the mist dragon is NOT an OC, she's an actual Ninjago character— BUT you'll have to wait til she returns to find out who. Or you can guess, either way. Hope you enjoyed, and watch the skies for Chapter 1!