Chapter Five, Scene 2

The Molly Jane's first mate knew his duty to the crew and the voyage, and its captain did too. But Matt Thorpe cared for his brother, and wasn't above telling him what he needed to hear. Rob had come down from the hills in a state about that slip of a girl from the tavern and Matt accused him of being in love. At least, it felt like an accusation.

After two days of watching Rob mope, he sat in the captain's cabin with a cat in his lap and lost his patience. "So marry the girl and bring her home with us!" he shouted, provoking Rob to list all the reasons why that was a bad idea. He didn't deny he'd been thinking about it.

"A papist?" Matt stilled the hand that had been petting the cat, but quickly resumed his tirade. "So what? You don't believe that nonsense about pagan rites and devil worship do you?"

"Of course not. But what will Father think? Image what Abigail will have to say." Their older sister held all who deviated from strict Congregationalist tenets to be in thrall to the devil—her brothers included.

"Abigail and that stiff-rumped reverend she married complain no matter what we do. Besides they live in Salem. Father would be delighted if you brought home a wife. He's complained these past three years that you're past the age to settled down. He's tired of the empty house."

"A wife, yes, but a tavern wench?"

"Beth Gordon may work in a tavern, but she's a respectable girl and well you know it. Father will see that right off."

"Perhaps, but it isn't that easy. We barely know each other, and I can't stay until we do. You said it yourself. The longer we're here, the greater the temptation the ambergris is to the crew and any townspeople who get word of it. I can't linger long enough to court her properly."

"I know you, and I've watched you around her. You'll not be able to let this one go. I may not know Beth as well, but I've seen how she looks at you and I've watched her nursing Clarke and Farley. She's a treasure."

Rob shook his head. "Marriage is complicated. What about religion? The islanders may not hold Abigail's narrow views, but there's nary a Catholic church on Nantucket."

"Does her faith matter to you, Rob?"

"No."

"Then what do you care about the islanders? Is it Beth's view that worries you? You can find her a place to worship on the mainland."

He chewed on that thought. If she marries me she'll have to move far from what she holds dear.

"Yes, it does. I would be asking a lot."

"So far you haven't done any asking at all. When did you become a coward? Ask the woman, Rob. The worst thing she can say is no."

Rob reached under his desk and pulled out a flask of rum. Laughter burst from his brother at the sight. "This is indeed a momentous discussion," Matt teased. Rob wasn't much for spirits, but he kept a flask for those rare occasions when the voyage got heavy to bear.

Rob poured a tot in his mug and stared into it lost in thought. He raised it to his lips and slammed it down.

"I owe her an apology at least," he said, rising. "I took advantage."

Matt raised a skeptical brow but kept silent. He released the squirming cat and pulled the tot of rum closer.

"I best seek her out and ask her pardon sooner rather than later," Rob said. He stalked toward the door.

"You do that," Matt muttered. "And Rob—" he called.

Rob turned to see Matt down the rum in a one swig. "Ask her."

Rob didn't get far before Alec Gordon confronted him. The boy crept down the dock looking about as if he feared discovery. When he spied the captain he threw himself at him and launched, wide-eyed, into a desperate plea to be taken aboard the Molly Jane.

Rob steadied the boy, holding on to both his shoulders. "We can talk about that later. For now I need to see your sister. Is she at the tavern?"

"She's gone."

"What do you mean 'she's gone'?" Rob demanded looking up at Spey Head.

"Gone home to Gran. Auld Dougal Hambly made his deliveries, and she went home to the Braes w'im. Mam is that angry about it. Spitting mad and I'm the only target at hand. I need to get away, captain." The pain in his eyes hurt Rob, but not as much as his words.

He rose up but kept one hand on the boy as much to steady himself as to comfort the lad. Beth, my Beth gone? He had driven her away. He didn't even question when she had be come his Beth.

Is that my answer? He turned back toward the Molly Jane pulling the lad with him, an arm around the boy's skinny shoulders.

"Are you certain you want to go to sea? It's a hard life," he warned.

"It's better than what I have now," Alec replied, hope flowering in his expression.

"Come talk to the first mate," Rob said. "If he's good with it, I'm good with it." He and Matt had already decided to sign the boy on, if only to get him away from his mother, but it wouldn't hurt to lay some stern warnings about the reality of a whaling ship on the lad.

"Tell me one thing. Where exactly is 'home?'"