Chapter 2- The Drive

"Hi," Evie said breathlessly.

"What is a gorgeous young lady like you doing all the way back here?" The stranger asked.

"It was a bit too much for me out there."

"Well, I don't mean to intrude but, would you object to me sitting with you?"

"No! No, of course not."

He sat down next to her and Evie still couldn't see his face. The lights were so dim that the most she could make out was his bright smile and dancing hazel eyes. Yet, somehow, he looked familiar.

"Do I know you?" She asked, her eyebrows scrunching together as she thought about where she recognized him from.

"I think everyone here does," He said with a chuckle.

Her heart fluttered.

"Do you come here often?" He asked ignoring Evie's silence.

"No, my friend dragged me here because apparently, I needed to relax."

"Well, do you feel any more relaxed?"

"Nope. In fact, I think I may be more stressed," She laughed.

"Well, that's not good."

"It's ok. I handle my stress well."

"I wish I could do that. I'm a mess."

"You don't seem like a mess."

"Yeah, most people don't think so when they first meet me."

"Oh, a man of secrets?"

"You could say that."

They sat there until the man offered her his hand. She took it and he helped her to her feet.

"Well, I'm thinking about heading out soon. Would you care for a drink before I leave?" He asked.

"I'm underage."

"The question still stands," He said, smirking at her through the darkness.

"No thanks."

"Well then if I can't buy a lovely lady a drink, would you at least allow me to escort you home?"

Evie thought about Kennedy but then looked at the man in front of her and realized that she would be stupid to not want a ride from him.

"I would love that."

~~~

His car smelled like fresh mint and rosemary. It was extrodenarily clean compared to what Evie had seen in other people's cars before. There were no traces of old food or piles of paperwork that would never get done. In fact, the seats looked almost brand new and the trunk was completely empty.

"Is this a new car?" Evie asked while she settled herself into the passenger seat.

"Ummm, you could say that," He laughed.

"You're not a serial killer right?"

"Nope." He laughed and turned his head to face her briefly.

The streetlights slightly illuminated his sharp cheekbones and hazels eyes but Evie still couldn't put her finger on where she has seen him before.

"And you're not going to harm me in any way?" She asked timidly.

"I don't plan on it," He said with a smile.

"Don't laugh! You can't expect me to blindly trust you when I don't even know your name."

"Alright! I'm sorry. Look how about we play a game? You get to ask me a question and I can ask you a question. Does that make you feel any better?"