Chapter 1 Lightning is seen before Thunder can be heard

Lightning is seen before thunder can be heard

Dreams are real until we wake up.

Mary met Adam before they fell in love.

It happened in August, when autumn painted a picture of yellowing leaves and hidden pathways.

Mary or Mary Anne, well Mary Anne Wild was born at a time when there were no leaves. For a long time Mary had thought that winter was a time when trees grew old, so old their hair turned white like Uncle Sam's beard. There were many people who disliked winter; however she was not one of them. For her most cherished memories occurred in the coldest days, the days where her family gathered just for her. Her deepest fear was that her most cherished memories would melt like snow in summer.

So August was pretty close to happiness. Mary at this time preferred to stay outside and watch the leaves wither. She stared at each branch as though counting how many leaves needed to fall before she could see her family.

Many would think she were day-dreaming, Mary however, was very much focused. So focused that she could not hear the whispers or see the looks of disdain. Kids could be pretty harsh.

Adam was born in summer. When the world was more alive, more colourful and the nights were shorter and so were his nightmares. He dreaded autumn because as the leaves fell to the floor, all evidence of life would fade with time and then when the brightest colour was white- autumn would be over and winter would bless him with longer nights. This was why he abhorred autumn because the foreshadowing gave him anxiety and his anxiety led to darker nightmares.

Many would describe him as just another freak, he was skittish and paranoid and to be frank eight tenths of it was due to the many unpleasant words kids strung together in an effort to ostracise a boy while feeling pleasant at their own character.

Autumn is, I repeat, when they first met. They were both gazing at the trees behind the school, silently counting the falling leaves one in ecstasy the other in woe. Every day for five years they had been sitting on the lawn watching the trees and yet not once did they see each other until that day in the middle of autumn.

That day the wind was harsh. That day Mary Anne's brown hair was in disarray before her eyes. That day a leaf just happened to fly into Adams glasses. It was at that moment they walked past each other that Adam tripped on a tree root and fell face first into a pile of yellowing leaves.

Mary Anne heard the crunch of leaves and saw a boy trying not to cry. His eyes were rimmed red and misted over. He had eyes the colour of the winter moon. Too white and yet still grey. She had a weird thought- was his soul then the same shade as the dark side of the moon. That very thought spurred her to truly look at him, his strong jawline, chipped lips, frail body and those dark circles under his eyes. She also noticed a pair of thick framed glasses hidden amongst the leaves.

Adam was in pain, his nose hurt the most, that and his left knee. The world was blurred and then it cleared and in front of him was the most beautiful smile he had ever seen. Mary of course hated her smile because not only were her teeth crooked but the metal prison they were held in was not something someone with low self- esteem liked to parade around. She hated her smile and yet subconsciously she had given him her warmest smile from the depths of her soul.

Zombies and other cliche's...जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें