As The Plot Thickens

They stayed in the Pokémon Centre that night, with the girls in one room and the boys in another.  The girls were watching Bonnie's favourite My Little Ponyta movie upon the birthday girl's request, but while Bonnie's full attention was on the movie the older girls were chatting quietly.

As for the boys, Clemont had gone out somewhere, claiming he was going to work on one of his inventions in peace. Ash and Max had also gone outside, but this was so they could train with their Pokémon.

"Pikachu, use Quick Attack!" Ash ordered, aiming his palm at a scorched boulder as though he himself was about to fire at it. "Pi... Ka... Chu!" Pikachu exclaimed as he charged at the boulder, smacking into it.

"I've always wondered how Pokémon never get recoil damage or at least a headache from running head first into heavy stuff," Max remarked, watching Pikachu, who looked perfectly fine. "I have no clue about that either," Ash replied, only now realising that Max had a point.

"Sceptile, use Leaf Blade!" Max ordered. His Sceptile charged at the rock and sliced at it, carving into it. "Great job, buddy!"

The boys continued training with their starter Pokémon until they were all tired out. Deciding that since they never actually took any damage from attacks and that they didn't want to disturb Nurse Joy so late at night, they agreed to go straight to bed and heal their Pokémon in the morning.

When they got into the room Clemont still wasn't back, but by the time they'd washed and gotten ready for bed he came through the door. "Hey, did I miss anything?" He asked, sounding tired.

"Not much, just some training," Max replied. "Oh, okay," Clemont nodded. "Well I'm going straight to bed. See you guys in the morning."

"Night, Clemont!" Ash grinned to his old friend as he leapt into his bed. Pikachu joined him, curling up on the end of the bed and quickly falling asleep. Max went to his own bed and copied Pikachu's example, so soon it was just Ash left awake.

When Clemont came out of the bathroom, Ash sat up carefully, not wanting to disturb his sleeping yellow buddy. "So what invention have you been working on this time?" Ash asked, but Clemont was already face-first on his bed and wasn't moving.

"Great talk," Ash muttered under his breath boredly, settling down in bed again before getting some rest at last.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
???'s POV:

I glanced up at the Pokémon Centre the whole group was staying in as I waited. Sure enough, a flash occurred that showed a Pokémon had just used Teleport. The strange man and his Abra walked over. The same strange man as always.

"Yo! What do ya know 'bout that girl and that frog, yo?" He questioned, torturing the English language as he did so. "They want to go to her house in Vaniville Town," I give up the information, knowing what will happen if I don't. "Her mother is a famous Rhyhorn racer. Grace."

"Did ya take 'em yet?" He asked. "No, they're in separate rooms," I reply. "It's too risky to get to both of them at once. I'd be able to get to Ash's Greninja, but I'd never get to Serena and I can't take them at different times or they'd realise something was up," I point out, obviously not mentioning that there's another reason why I'm not complying to their demands tonight.

"Ya better deliver soon, yo, or da boss won't be happy," he folded his arms. "I know this, but would your boss rather I got caught and alerted the group that they're out there or just wait a few days at most?" I point out, trying to buy myself a little more time. "Just a little more time. That's all I need. That's the least you can do for me given the circumstances."

"You're in no position to be making demands, yo," he scowls. "But fine. I'll tell da boss. Meet me same time tomorrow, yo. I'll find the place. Abra, Teleport!"

He and his Abra fled from the area. I sighed and turned back to the Pokémon Centre, looking at one of the rooms which had their lights on. That's the room with all the girls in it. May, that girl from the Hoenn region. A Pokémon Coordinator. A travel companion of both Ash and Serena and older sister to Max.

Bonnie, the littlest girl with the Legendary Pokémon in her bag. Zygarde, or Squishy as she calls it, is very protective and loyal when it comes to her. She's also one of Serena's best friends.

Serena. Oh, Serena. I'm sorry about all this. It's nothing personal, I swear. I don't want anything to do with this, but I have no choice. It's you or my most cherished loved one. I can't allow them to harm a hair on their head. I've sworn to keep them safe and happy at all costs. Even if that cost is you, Serena.

I look to the room next to the girl's room. Max, May's little brother. I still don't know much about Max, he's only been around for a short while, but I know he's at least a decently strong Trainer and also very smart and sensible despite his younger age.

Ash. This is going to hit him hard. His going to lose Greninja and his girlfriend by the time I'm through. Again, nothing personal, Ash. I'm truly sorry about this. But again, I have no choice.

And Clemont. An Electric type Gym Leader to Lumiose City. The older brother of Bonnie. Spends his free time making inventions that admittedly almost always blow up.

A failure who couldn't even protect his little sister from a team from another region entirely. An idiot who thinks he'll be able to help humanity with his skills as a Gym Leader and an inventor when he's done nothing to help anyone.

Clemont... right now, even the name disappoints me.