Ch. 13

Xavier's school could never be accused of taking education lightly. The senior year curriculum is consuming all of Matt's social time, and to make matters worse his father lowered his monthly stipend in response to an "unacceptable" grade point average last spring. Matt's been obediently studious in bringing his grades back up.

Matt sighs and runs his fingers through his hair. "So...this isn't somehow punishment for not calling you all summer is it?"

"Vince is not a punishment. Besides you were eager to meet him when he first enrolled."

"Yeah, but then he turned out to be a jerk, am I right?"

"He's got his reasons." I nod at the stack of textbooks in front of him. "I should go, I'm distracting you."

"Hm? Oh, yeah. Later." He smiles amiably before burying himself in his work again.

I drop my books off in my room, put on a sweater, and turn invisible, not reappearing until I'm safely in the hidden gable. Vince smiles when he sees me and holds out a white box. "Junior Mint?"

I dig a candy out of the strangely cool box and pop it in my mouth. "Are they supposed to be frozen?"

"They're better that way," he answers. "How's Sonic?"

"Vin. He's fine."

He grunts and drops the subject. With Xavier's help he's gotten clever at keeping his thoughts quieter. I on the other hand have discovered how to dig a little deeper to hear things just beneath the surface. I don't think I could ever do it without someone's consent though. That wouldn't be right.

"Are you in my head?" Vince asks suspiciously.

"Don't flatter yourself." I settle my back against the slant of the roof, using my sweater as a pillow.

He pops another candy into his mouth. "Think you'll ever be as good as the Professor?"

"The Professor hears peoples' thoughts every hour of every day, so no, I hope I'm never as good as him. How's it coming along with you?"

He scrunches his face. "'Bout the same."

"And self-defense class?"

"Summers is a jerk, and I've got detention."

"You mouthed off again didn't you? Vince, this is getting ridiculous. I can't see Son because he's studying, and I can't see you because you're being punished."

"Yeah? Then tell it to Shades, like he'll even care. Nobody ever believes I could possibly not be to blame."

"No, not this again, I don't want to talk about this." I sit up. "You can't change the world by being angry at it. You won't even try to deal reasonably with someone of authority."

"Screw you," Vince mutters, getting to his feet. "I know what I'm talking about. If it weren't for the Professor's charity I'd be back in the dumpster they call a court system, sitting on my ass waiting for some mutant-hating social worker to decide where to toss me. I can't stay here my whole life- the world would like it if we just stayed in one place like this, but it's not up to them it's up to us, and- And-"

He stands at the edge of the roof, his cheeks flushed and his head full of hot air. The shingles at his feet are worn, and his shoes are old and smooth-soled.

"Sit down." I pull on my sweater. "Or you'll slip."

He looks around, brows bent, hands trembling, before carefully walking back.

Terry and I giggle as we walk back to the locker room. For fun, Scott had us battle a giant robot in Danger, and some of the other kids wouldn't stop making jokes about it. Outside the boys' locker room, Logan and Scott are having a peaceful discussion when Logan catches my eye and beckons me over.