Tonight

"Um, I was wondering," Charlie timidly began, as his gaze drifted downward. 

"Would it be ok, if, I kissed you tonight?" he managed, before raising his eyes back up to meet hers.

Alexandra's smile slowly widened, and she used her fingertip to brush away a few strands of hair from her face.

"Yes," she bashfully replied.

They stood under the street lamp; the magnetic warmth of their bodies was barely overriding the nervous energy caught between them.

His hands gently connected with her hips.  She slowly reached up, set her arms on his shoulders, slid her fingers through the back of his hair, and started to pull his head down toward hers.

Their breathing had become deeper and quicker, their eyes remained locked; racing thoughts, swirling inside their heads, were being slowed, along with the coils of time that were tightening around them.

Alexandra's eyes closed, then Charlie's.  Their foreheads blindly, but carefully, searched for its counterpart, until impact, then remained connected.

Each of them could feel breath against their face, as the other's lips drew closer, and closer.

For a split second, their lips connected, then bounced back.  Charlie opened his mouth, and grabbed hold of Alexandra's bottom lip with both of his; her top lip softly locked down, and she began to gently suck.

The fingertips on each of his hands experimented with the arc of her lower back, rubbing lightly, up and down, applying more pressure as her body pressed ever so gently against his.  The kiss lasted an eternity, which wasn't long enough.

Charlie felt the urge to peek at her face as they kissed.  He opened his eyes and saw two big, beautiful brown eyes starting widely back into his, from awkwardly close range, and he burst out laughing, blowing a shot of air directly into her mouth on accident as he pulled away quickly.

"I'm sorry!" Alexandra giggled, "I swear I wasn't being creepy!"

The nervous energy was steadily being melted away, as each of them allowed their vulnerability to reveal itself.

Charlie's laughter quickly turned into a confident smirk; he looked at her very deeply, and grabbed her hands.

"Stare into my eyes, and pick any star you want.  It's yours."

Alexandra's smile lit up the night; she bounced up to give him a peck on the lips, then stepped back, and analyzed his face.

"Tonight was, surreal," she offered.  "I just wish, we would've met—"

Alexandra's words trailed off.

"Will I ever see you again?" Charlie anxiously inquired.

Charlie clicked save.  His upper body fell backward, landing flat on the bed; his eyes gazed at the ceiling as he smiled.

He sat back up, set his fingertips onto the keyboard, and pondered.

"I could re-live tonight, for the rest of my life, and never get tired of it," Charlie told himself, as he arrived home.

"Charles!"

"Dad," he acknowledged, as he shut his laptop.

"How'd  tonight go!?"

"Tonight?"

"Yeah, the audition.  Final round wasn't it?"

"Oh, yeah.  Tonight went, really well."