Bees and Daydreams

Althea: healing

Origin: Greek

'There was a mighty clang as the valiant knight Sir Lionheart's sword struck the sorcerers magic shield. Then another, and another. No matter how hard he beat upon the shield it would not give. He stopped, out of breath with sweat dripping down his forehead. He drew his tired, beaten body up to it's full height, and with a booming voice shouted...'

"Althea! Time to go!"

My mother's voice drew me from the pages rather abruptly, shattering my mental image of the fierce battle in front of me. I sighed, irritated.

"Ariadne do we have to? This was a good part." My mom ruffled my hair.

"They're all good parts though, aren't they? And I believe I talked to you about calling me Ariadne." She winked at me, and I rolled my eyes sassily.

"Well, yes, mom, but Sir Lionheart was about to defeat Kraegan!"

"Oh Althea," My mom shook her head, smiling fondly. "you've been saying that for the past 3 books. If he hasn't yet, what makes you think he will now?"

"He's the hero. In every book I've ever read they always win. And his name is Sir Lionheart after all. You have to be brave and powerful if you have a name like that."

My mom held up her hands in defense. "Okay, okay, I get your point. He wouldn't be nearly so brave with a title like Sir Manatee would he? Because his value comes from his name?"

"Yes! Exac..." I paused. "You're trying to trick me aren't you."

"Just teasing, just teasing. Come on now."

I reluctantly passed my novel over the counter of the little book shop to the keeper, Mr Princep. He considered it for a moment before sliding it back to me with a twinkle in his old, grey eyes.

"Keep it. As a gift. Your birthday is coming up on the solstice isn't it? Nineteen, you'll be a real young lady now."

"Not quite, my birthday is the spring solstice. The summer solstice is the one coming up." I corrected. "Honestly, haven't you seen the decorations all over town Mr Princep?" I teased lightly.

"Well, no." He said, gathering some books into his arms. "I am always, as the locals put it, 'buried in my books.' In any case, take the book; you won't be back until after your birthday. Consider it an early present."

"Thank you very much Mr Princep!" I went in for a fierce hug, nearly causing him to drop his books.

"Never change child." He laughed loudly before a sober look crossed over his face. "So far as I'm concerned, this town could use a little more imagination and strength like yours."

I looked at him quizzically, but didn't have time to ask what he meant before I was hauled out of the book shop by my mother. She was stronger then she seemed. Outside the quiet, cozy shop was chaos. Vendors were yelling and throwing things, stalls were overturned, and a pack of dogs ran past, noses in the air, and for whatever reason, feathers were drifting rather ironically, gently among the mass mayhem. Just above us, a little lamb fell through the awning decorating the door of the book shop. My mother managed to catch the sheep, but dropped all our groceries in the process, shattering every single egg in a mess on the cobblestones. She held the little lamb out in front of her and recognizing her, burst into laughter.

"Oh Lilly, you little trouble maker. How did you even get up there?" She cuddled her like one would a new born baby, and began tickling her woolly stomach. She was so absorbed in the lamb that she didn't notice the rather large, angry man brandishing a cleaver stalk up to us, fury pouring from every crevice in his face.

"Mr Flannigan, calm down, please." I said, holding up my hands and stepping into the butchers path.

"Move out of the way, girl. I have no problem with children, just their irresponsible, dimwitted parents." He sneered, shoving me out of the way. I grabbed his arm with surprising strength; there was fire in my blood.

"Don't insult my mother." I growled. He looked shocked, but it didn't last long.

"Your lamb cost me a weeks worth of meat when she lead a pack of mutts straight through my stall. I want payment!" He bellowed. The crowd murmured their agreement. The tension was palpable, like the last moments before a battle in one of my books.

"The lamb who caused the trouble will do as recompense I think." He smiled at me in a threatening way.

"I know Lilly's meat is free of maggots, which is more then we can say for your last batch of chops. She's too high quality for your shop. Or maybe this meat you lost was actually maggot free this time and that's why you're so upset? And really, if you can't deal with a lamb what can you do?" I taunted, stepping between my mom and the mob again. Everyone laughed, and Mr Flannigan's face only got more red. My head was pounding, my stomach was burning. I was prepared for a fight, but he didn't say anything, just turned and stalked off. I let out a breath I didn't know I'd been holding and turned to check on my mother. She was still cuddling Lilly and beaming at me.

"Maybe those books are good for you. You've certainly got the bravery of Sir Lionheart."

"I'm certainly not dressed like him." I joked, plucking at my simple frock.

"That is true. Now, I'm going to buy some more eggs, keep and eye on Lilly okay? We don't need an encore from her. I'll meet you at the pond just outside of town." Lilly acknowledged her name and let out a loud bleat as my mother walked away.

I held tightly to our little lamb as I strolled about the destroyed market. There were some grumbles and death stares, but I felt invincible. Sir Lionheart had nothing on me. I had defeated my own Kraegan. I stopped by the fabric shop and purchased a small clipping of red ribbon and tied it around Lilly's neck like a medal of honour. She loved it, and held her head just a little higher then usual, like she wanted everyone to see just how pretty her new ribbon was.
We made our way to the pond, and I sat on the bench just beside the little fishing dock. Lilly suddenly yawned and laid her little head on my lap, her eyes fluttering before finally closing. She was still a baby after all, and babies tire easy. Before long, she was snoring. I absently ran my fingers over the carvings in the bench, the marks every couple in this village made on this bench at some point or another. I watched the fish blow bubbles at the dragonflies gliding over the surface of the pond, and watched the honeybees bumbling lazily over the last of the spring flowers.

"Are you ready to go Althea?" My mom called softly. I turned to face her, and shook my head, pointing at the snoring lamb on my lap. My mother stifled a giggle and sat beside me, wordlessly handing me a piece of the fresh bread we had bought. She slathered some honey on the fluffy white loaf, making sure to spread it to every corner just the way I liked it. We ate quietly, slowly, enjoying the change of atmosphere and reveling in the silence.