Chapter 12: Smile

I awoke to my alarm clock on a dreadful Monday morning. Oh how I loathe Mondays. I slowly got out of bed and threw on a t-shirt and a pair of jeans. I quickly did a simple fishtail braid in my hair and took Ms. Ackry's homework which I had did last night and shoved it in my backpack.

I headed downstairs and grabbed an apple for breakfast. I headed out the door and began my walk to school. I was done with my apple by the time I saw Riley.

"Good morning Callie." she exclaimed.

"Hey Riley." I replied.

"I've been thinking about the painting you made on Saturday and I think you are really talented. Maybe you could do it professionally."

"I don't think I'm that good. Making art has always been something I've done on the side. Just a little hobby."

"Okay don't listen to me now. But when you're the next Van Gogh, I'll just say I told you so."

"Riley, Vincent van Gogh was crazy. What are you trying to say?" I say in a joking matter.

"Well excuse me for not being an art nerd. I just knew the man made nice paintings."

"Whatever. Hey did you do your English homework?"

"Yeah, but it was totally boring. Poe's works are a little aged. Why can't we read stuff from this century like 'The Fault In Our Stars'?" she says.

"I actually like Poe's short stories. I like the way he writes." I reply. We had now reached the school.

"You are one strange kid." she says as we part ways and head to our first period classes.

When I enter class I'm the first person in there aside from Ms. Ackry who is busy writing an entire book on the board.

"Good morning, Ms. Newman." she said when she saw me come in.

"Good morning."

"Did you do your homework?" she asks. And this is the number one reason why I don't come to class early. To avoid situations like this.

"Uhm... yes."

"Why the hesitation?" she spits back.

Why all the questions? I almost say.

"I just wasn't expecting you to ask me that question."

She stays silent after that and fortunately more students walk in to make this situation less awkward.

And then Tony walks in. I quickly look down at my desk trying to avoid eye contact. I can feel him looking at me. And to my horror he comes and sits down in the desk in front of me. Now I have to look up at him. I look up and our eyes lock. I feel like I just might explode.

"Well I haven't talked to you in a while." he said. Our faces were so close I wanted to kiss him.

"I didn't think three days was that long of a time." I replied. It's a lie of course. Going Friday, Saturday, and Sunday without talking to the boy I had a crush on was absolute torture.

"So how did you spend your weekend?" he asks.

"Well Friday night I went to dinner with my parents and Saturday I spent most of the day with Riley. Sunday I did my English homework."

And thats when Isabelle tapped on his shoulder.

"Uhmm, excuse me Tony, but your in my seat." she said it in a somewhat nervous manner. Like she liked Tony. Oh my gosh is that how I act around Tony?

"My bad Isabelle." he said getting up.

"I'll talk to you at lunch Callie." he said towards me and headed toward his assigned seat.