F o u r

Jeremy was tapping his fingers on his desk, glancing at the clock on the wall every so often. It was the period before lunch, and he was really excited to meet some more people.

The teacher was rambling on about an after school play being put together, and he puts it in the back of his mind to go check it out. He might not be able to talk, but he was still a good actor.

The bell rang and he went straight to the cafeteria, getting in line for lunch.

He didn't get much, just pizza and an apple, considering he brought a drink with him.

He saw Brooke across the room, waving him over. He walked over and sat on one side of her.

'Where's Chloe at?' He signed, genuinely curious.

"Oh, she has a different class than me before lunch. Her and everyone else should be here soon." She said, and soon she was rambling off all of her friends' names. "There's Jake and Rich, Jenna and Christine, you've already met Chloe and I, and M-"

"Hey, Brooke! Who'th the new kid?" A boy shorter boy said, slinging his arm around the girl.

He had short blond hair with an obnoxiously bright red streak. His tank top had a weird eye design on it, and his pants were camouflage.

"Oh, this is Jeremy! He's that new kid I was telling you about." Brooke said, flinging the boy's arm off of her.

"Oh, the mute kid? It'th nithe to meetcha, I'm Rich." Rich said.

Jeremy noticed he had a lisp, and he had to say, it suits his personality and appearance.

'Nice to meet you too.' Jeremy signed, getting more anxious as he saw more kids heading in their direction.

"Hey, calm down, kid. Like I said, just be yourself and nothing will go wrong." The SQUIP said.

Jeremy immediately felt his growing anxiety ease a bit, but it was enough to stop him from panicking.

He was introduced to the other kids, and they all seemed really nice and easy to get along with. They all liked Jeremy, too.

He found out that all of them had already met their soulmates and were all couples, except another kid, who hadn't made it there yet and he could never seem to catch the name of.

Jeremy excused himself to go to the restroom, picking up his tray.

"But there's still one more person you have to meet!" Christine said, bouncing on her heels.

She was convinced that Jeremy and the kid that Jeremy hadn't caught the name of yet would be soulmates, and was desperate for them to meet.

'I'll meet him tomorrow, ok?' Jeremy signed, wanting to get out of the cafeteria so he could think.

"Ok, kid, you go ahead." Jenna said, interrupting Christine's insistence that he should stay.

Jeremy want to throw his tray away as another kid came up to their table, giant white headphones covering his ears.

He sat down, slushie in hand, and glanced over to where Jeremy was.

'Hey, who's that? I've never seen him around before.' He signed.

"Oh, that's Jeremy, you just missed him!" Christine said

Christine was oozing with enthusiasm, but also disappointment, and he groaned, knowing exactly why.

Jeremy didn't have a soulmate yet.

"Look, it's ok, Michael, you can meet him tomorrow! He's a pretty cool guy." Jake said.

'Yeah, I'll meet him tomorrow.' Michael signed, sighing.

Maybe Jeremy would be his soulmate.