13. Reap What You Sow

The journey back to Morgana's ice domain wasn't as treacherous, as one might think. So long as one stayed clear of sharp ice patterns, anyone could stumble upon it.

"There you are" Morgana exclaimed, pouring a cup of steaming liquid from a pipkin for herself. "Where did you get yourself off to?"

"Atlantica" Vanessa said, simply. This caused the old woman to spill the hot brew. The china fell and hit the ice, shattering upon contact. "What were you going to be drinking?"

"Tea" Morgana barked. "Now, then. What's this you say about Atlantica?"

"You've been there?" Vanessa asked, sitting herself upon the ice bi-level.

"I grew up there" she answered, bending over to pick up the shattered pieces. "With your mother, I did"

"There's that word again" Vanessa sighed.

"What?" Morgana asked, throwing the glass into the water. "Be mindful of that, will you?"

"Mother" Vanessa pouted, splashing her fins about in the water. "She was never there for me, therefore she deserves no such title"

"You'd be surprised" Morgana sighed, taking a seat in her clam shell. "What a mother would do for her child"

"What would you know about it?" Vanessa shot back.

"I've had to do the same" said Morgana, dabbing her eyes with a tentacle.

The tiny shark jumped out from the water then, ready to say something snarky before he saw the look on his mistress' face.

"Morgana" Vanessa said, this time in a different tone.

"Yes" she shot back. "What do you need to know?"

"Do you have a child?" Vanessa asked, carefully.

"I did" Morgana answered, simply.

"Was that through intercourse?" Vanessa asked, impulsively.

"Yes" Morgana nodded, in an obvious manner. "I had relations with a man"

"Somebody fucked you?" Undertow spat, disgustedly.

The look on Morgana's face went from saddened to furious, as she nearly flew across the ice to the water.

"You're really pushing it, small fry" she hissed at the tiny shark.

"I'm sorry" Vanessa stammered. "That was insensitive of me"

"That it was" Morgana agreed. "Perhaps the conversation has run dry. Was that all?"

"Who's to say?" Vanessa shrugged. "It might not be my place"

"Who's to say anything at all" Morgana added. "Regardless of placement"

"I can see where Derek picked up his cynical attitude" she said.

"Yes, yes perhaps so" Morgana shot back. "But where did you pick up your's?"

The old witch did have a point. Perhaps Derek's demeanor had rubbed off on her.

"Have you heard from him?" Vanessa asked, running her fingers through her wet hair.

"Who?" Morgana asked, taking her seat again.

"Derek" Vanessa said, almost too soft for even herself to hear.

"Not that I can say" Morgana said, simply. "No. Why?"

"No reason" She said, softly.

Morgana sighed, and returned herself to the water. Patting Vanessa on the head, as she descended.

Upon her return to Atlantica, Finnick waited where he said that he would. By the large stone statue of his god. He held a bouquet of nymphaeaceae.

"You came" He exclaimed, handing her the water lilies.

She accepted them with a smile.

"You sound surprised" she laughed.

"Shelly was quite fond of you" Finnick said, sheepishly. "I was afraid she might steal you away from me"

"Shelly can be fond of whatever she likes" Vanessa nearly spat. "One must own property to be stolen from. Which I am not"

"I didn't mean that, of course you see" he stammered. "I simply meant that, I am also fond of you. And can only hope you'd feel the same"

"I wish you wouldn't say such things" she said, pulling away from him.

"Why?" he asked. "Do you not?"

Vanessa didn't have an answer for that. What was she to say? The least she could do was say something. Anything.

"No"

Anything but that.

"Oh" he said, clearly hurt. He didn't hide it well. "I guess I'll go, then"

Turning away, her heart melted for him. She knew well what he felt. Derek had made her feel the same way. Like she had been lifted into the sky, by a gust of wind. Only to have the wind die off, and let her fall.

Taking off after him, she fell over him and they flew to the ground below.

"I'm sorry" she said, when his sounds of whimpering came to her ears. But the whimpering soon became laughter.

Leaning over him, Vanessa slammed her lips onto his.

"What made you change your mind?" He asked, when she allowed him.

"Who said I ever thought otherwise?" She laughed.

"You did" he pointed out.

With that, she ended the conversation with another kiss.