Knob.

[knob.]

You first came across the idea of happiness when you stepped outside - or at least that's what you told me. You said that once he died, you were given the gift of freedom. No more isolation - no more shackles. And so you said you stared down at the dribbling blood clawing down the corner of his lips. They were tight - his lips. Stuck that way as if he constantly tasted something sour or bitter - or both. Though at that moment of death on that cold hard floor that you once called home, his lips looked full, and the blood looked gentle... at least you said.

Once you wiped the thick drop that then reached his dark-skinned chin, you made the bold move to sunlight. You walked jagged and slow, like a cripple with chains. You knew where the door was since you once told me you would occasionally peek your head just out enough to see its wooden frame. You lifted your arm up, but it fell back down. You said you were much too weak to have power, but you sure did have will. You tried again - lifting your sickly thin arm up for the second time, and this time made it long enough the wrap your fingers around that old rusty door knob. Ahhh... That door knob. I myself remember it. It was oh so creased with grim and blood. So red. So iron. Though I touched it everyday, you never once did.

Not until now.

Once you curled your trembling little fingers of your around that Knob and muttered the strength to twist and pull, you were blinded. You let out a curdling scream and fell to the ground.

"AGHHHHHH!!!!"

I heard it, you know. You thought I didn't, considering you still had my blood stained on your finger tips, but I surely did. Once your cry faded, you were brave enough to look back up again.

You screamed again.

I couldn't stand that fact that you were hurt, darling. This is what I was trying to prevent. The world was much too cruel for a little girl like you.

And yet your little soul looked again. This time, you didn't shriek, you smiled. The sun was so bright and beautiful. So... happy. You said you had never seen anything but darkness, but I didn't believe you.

You saw me... or at least you said.