Mourmelon-le-Grand

After bouncing around Holland and getting into almost daily skirmishes with the Germans, Easy Company was finally pulled off the line in the night of November 24 – 25.

Ella, like most of the guys, couldn't remember much about the journey to Mourmelon-le-Grand. They were all completely exhausted after two gruelling months on the front line.

Mourmelon itself had been turned into a proper staging area. There were huge rows of canvas tents, just waiting to house the tired soldiers. Ella hopped down from the truck and stretched, joints popping and vertebrae cracking.

"Man, I'm gonna sleep for a week", Luz proclaimed with a huge yawn.

Lipton commented: "There's showers."

The young girl perked up. "Showers?", she repeated, looking as if Christmas had come early.

The first sergeant chuckled. "That's right. And fresh uniforms, too."

A huge grin spread on her face and she tugged at Toye's jacket. "You hear that? Showers and new ODs!", she gushed. The small medic was almost bouncing with excitement.

"I heard, Shorty", the man replied tiredly, stifling a yawn.

"Well, what are we waiting for? Come on!" Ella snatched his wrist and pulled him along to the supply tent, leaving a bunch of snickering guys in their wake. It wasn't every day that they got to see tough Joe Toye being dragged around by his sleeve.

"Like a friggin' puppy, I keep telling ya", Johnny said to Bull, shaking his head fondly. The tall man simply smiled, cigar stump between his teeth.

As always, some of the men stood guard while Ella was in the shower. This time, it was Christenson, Grant, Hoobler and Gene.

"Thanks, guys", the girl said. She tossed them a chocolate bar each, slipping inside before they could say anything.

They simply sat down by the door, content to wait in silence. They were too tired to talk anyways after their own shower. Hoobler devoured his chocolate bar, chewing with a dramatic sigh and closing his eyes in bliss.

***

The brunette felt like a different person after shutting off the water. The layer of filth she had grown accustomed to was gone, her hair was soft and clean. Even the handful of freckles that were sprinkled across her nose and cheeks was visible again. The skin around the healing scar on her temple was smooth and no longer bruised.

Wringing out her dripping hair, she slipped into her fresh clothes, picked up her stuff and went outside.

She had already opened her mouth to apologize for keeping them waiting, but then she stopped short at the adorable sight. Hoobler was out like a light, head tipped back, mouth hanging open. Gene had also fallen asleep and Christenson looked about five seconds away from following suit.

Grant spotted her standing there and gave her an amused smile.

Ella whispered: "What I wouldn't give for a camera."

The two sergeants chuckled.

With a bit of gentle cajoling, the small medic managed to coax Gene into a semi-awake state. Grant and Christenson opted to let Hoob sleep and carry him to his billet.

"Debout, Gene", Ella crooned.

He mumbled something under his breath, to which the girl replied: "Je sais. C'est pas loins, allons-y."