1

Just like everything else in Midoriya's life, his relationship with Todoroki began very fast.

The crush Midoriya had harbored since the Sports Festival in their first year-- he'd never thought it would actually go anywhere. He never could work up the nerve to say anything to Todoroki, and thus, he let his feelings grow and expand until every time Midoriya looked at Todoroki, he felt like his heart would burst. By the advent of their third year, Midoriya had resigned himself to being hopelessly in love with Todoroki forever.

He wasn't exactly subtle about it, either. He remembers, right before it all began, Uraraka he held him back after lunch, telling everyone else to go on ahead and that they would catch up. Once they were alone, she turned to him with a stern look on her face.

"You need to tell Todoroki that you like him, Deku," She'd said, determined look on her face and hands planted firmly on her hips, "Or he's going to figure it out for himself from the lovestruck stare you give him all the time."

"I-I don't like Todoroki!" He attempted in vain, eyes falling to the floor and blush covering his freckled cheeks, "You've got it all wrong, Uraraka! Why would you even think that, frankly it's ridiculous for you to even insinuate--"

"Deku!" Uraraka grabbed his shoulders and shook them gently, "Stop lying to me. It's painful as your friend for me to see you moping all the time like a lovesick little kid. Just tell him, Midoriya. Please."

Midoriya stuttered for a few moments, before letting his shoulders slump. "You don't understand, Uraraka," He sighed, bringing his gaze back up to meet his friend's, "Yes, okay, I like Todoroki, and I should probably tell him, but... but I'm comfortable like this. I'm not ready to tell him-- to be rejected, which, being honest, would probably be what happens." He was being uncharacteristically pessimistic, but he'd had almost two years to overthink every interaction with Todoroki, and had come to the heartbreaking conclusion that his crush did not and never would like him.

Midoriya bit his lip, before pulling away from Uraraka's grasp, and turning around. "I'll see you in class," He'd said before walking away.

That conversation was when everything started to pick up. The next day, Midoriya was packing up his things at his desk, getting ready to go home.

"Midoriya," He'd heard a low voice say; Todoroki was standing in front of his desk, scratching the back of his neck and looking off to the side. If Midoriya had been thinking properly, he would have noticed that Todoroki looked oddly nervous, a rare look for the otherwise stoic boy-- but instead, all Midoriya could think about was how nice Todoroki's mismatched eyes looked in the afternoon sunlight.

"--want to walk home together?" Midoriya realized with a start that Todoroki was still talking to him. He shook his head a bit to clear his thoughts, mentally facepalming, before noticing that Todoroki's gorgeous grey and blue eyes were focused on him intensely.

"Y-Yeah," He stuttered out, "Sure." He wanted to slap himself for being so awkward in front of someone that had been his friend for going on three years-- interacting with Todoroki should have been the most natural thing in the world. But the butterflies in his stomach and his quickened pulse that came about whenever Todoroki was near kept that from being reality.

The first few minutes of the walk were spent in silence, Midoriya's own heartbeat the loudest thing in his ears. He couldn't help but overthink-- it was second nature. Why did Todoroki ask me on this walk? Does he know? Is he trying to find a way to let me down easy? I should have said no. I'm so stupid--

"Let's take a detour through the park, Midoriya." Todoroki's voice wrenched him from his thoughts-- his friend wasn't looking at him, instead staring off into the distance, at the lush gardens of the small park. Midoriya was so taken aback by his beauty that he couldn't do anything but nod.