0.2

-----------

Jared Kleinman had that signature smirk on his face as he sat down.

"Good Morning."

Jared looked up at the owner of the voice, smiling, "Mornin'"

"Please state your name for the record."

"Jared Kleinman."

There was silence for a moment before the woman started talking again, "Mr. Kleinman, the purpose of this hearing is to determine, whether, if released, you are likely to break the law again. While this was your first conviction, you have been implicated, though never charged, in over a dozen other confidence tricks and frauds. What can you tell us about those?"

The familiar smirk returned to his face, "As you say, ma'am, I was never charged."

"Mr. Kleinman, what we're trying to find out is was there a reason you chose to commit this crime, or was there a reason you simply got caught this time."

"My husband left me. I was upset. I fell into a self-destructive pattern."

"If released, is it likely you'd fall back into a similar pattern?"

Jared knew not to snap at the parole board, but he had to scoff. "He already left me once. I don't think he'd do it again just for kicks."

"Mr. Kleinman, what do you think you would do if released?"

-----------

Jared put his hands in his jacket pockets, waiting for the escalator to reach the top. He smoothly stepped into the crowded casino. He sat at a table, waiting for a dealer to arrive.

"How are you, sir?"

Jared looked up, "Hello, Alana!"

The woman was silent and Jared stared. She finally spoke, "I beg your pardon, sir. You must have me confused with someone else. My name is Morgan, as you can see right here." The woman corrected Jared, and there was an awkward silence.

Jared stared at her before shaking his head, "It's my mistake."

"Oh, it's no problem, sir."

"Table's cold, anyway."

"You might want to try the lounge at the Caesars. It gets busy after 1:00."

Jared stood from the table, "1:00?"

Morgan nodded, "Yes, sir."

Jared patted Morgan's shoulder, "Thanks, Morgan."

"No, thank you."

-----------

"Checkin' up on current events?" a familiar voice asked. Jared fumbled with the newspaper, throwing onto the counter.

"Morgan?"

"Glad to make your acquaintance!" Morgan greeted, seeming a totally different person than earlier. "Alana Beck can't get past the gaming board. Just got out?"

Jared took a sip of his whiskey, "Just this afternoon. You seen him?"

Alana looked up, "Last I heard, he was teaching movie stars how to play cards. Why?" Alana thought for a moment, "You have a plan already?"

Jared smiled, "You kidding? I just became a citizen again!"

-----------

"Yes. Officer Brooks? This is Jared Kleinman. I was told to contact you within 24 hours." Jared nodded his head, "No, sir. I have not gotten into trouble. No, sir. I have not been drinking. No, sir," Jared looked at the Trump Plaza sign behind him, "I wouldn't even think about leaving the state."

-----------