~ Chapter 2

Cows' blood. It would satisfy but by no means fulfil my appetite in the way that human blood would. I knew this and yet still had never dined on human essence, even when I feel a craving clench my insides I've always found that the whole ordeal made me queasy. It's as if my brain still comprehends the act as cannibalism and so immoral. This was ridiculous, considering I had no qualms drinking any other animal's blood.

So, stood in the practices cramped kitchenette, I stirred the cows blood into my coffee and tried to think of it as cream.

The on call phone buzzed and chimed in my pocket.

"Good evening, Ljunborg General Practice, this is Doctor Louisa speaking."

"May I speak to Dr Damerae?" a male voice asked through the receiver.

"I'm sorry but Dr Damerae retired recently," I frowned, Damerae's retirement was explicit knowledge in town, after all we had thrown a rather large party for the fun loving old man. "I have taken over his position; can I be of help sir?"

The line went silent for a while, so long that I questioned if the other person had hung up.

"Would you mind coming into your reception." It was my turn to go quiet, trying to make sense of the abrupt command. Completely forgetting the beverage still grasped in my left hand, I walked across the faux wood floor.

I almost dropped the ceramic cup when I opened the door to see a man casually leaning against the desk in the front room. He was dressed well in slacks and a deep red dress shirt, which made my purple cardigan and black floor skirt feel underdressed; I noted a movement beginning to stir in the back of my brain, the meaning of it eventually clicking as my eyes met his through the lenses of both of our glasses. Conrad. A vampire – but his aura was strong enough to indicate he was a full blood, unlike me.

"Good evening." I recovered, the end call tone of the mobile bringing me back, I only stumbled over my words for a fraction of a second.

"When did you get here?" He asked, chest discretely enlarging as he scented me.

"Um, just now...?" I blinked and stuck a thumb behind me, indicating the kitchenette door.

He snorted, "No, I mean when did you come to Ljungborg."

I felt my face flare hot in embarrassment, then again he wasn't very specific – I tried to back myself up. "Around a month ago I became the Medicus here."

"Medicus... That's odd, Marcov doesn't let his females work- professionally." He turned away and stroked his chin in thought, pursing his lips.

I couldn't help but feel my inner feminist kick up some dirt in the back of my brain, her actions caused my hip to tilt and hand rest on the jutted bone. A whoosh of air huffed from my nose, believe it or not, women make good doctors too you old fart, is what I wanted to say.

"Oh no I didn't mean it like that!" He suddenly blanched and turned back at me with his hands raised in surrender. "Just Marcov, he's an ass- and, um... I was surprised is all." Had I said that out loud? I felt my mouth gape slightly. "You didn't, I have telepathic abilities." He rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly and smiled shrewdly. Oh balls, I cursed in my head, and then cursed again when I realised he could hear all of my inner turmoil. Damned vampuric abilities!

The man let out a full bellied laugh that made me fidget on my feet with embarrassment as I silently fumed internally. After attempting to put up dome mental blocks, I spoke again, "I don't know who this Marcov is, but I can assure you I hold no affiliation with him. Now then, what brings a vampire to my practice?"

"Yes, I believe you were meant to read this." He leaned over the desk and took a piece of paper from the cabinet then handed it to me.

Louisa,

The Crowine Road vampire coven  did not receive their blood supply this week, a representative will be coming at eleven tonight to pick up emergency rations until next week's supply comes in. I've already packed the blood bags in the fridge, they're on the second shelf. The representative can open the locks so leave the box on one of the chairs in the waiting room before you leave and they will come and go. Don't worry Dr Damerae trusted them.

You were still in the Mrs Kinston appointment so I couldn't tell you personally. I hope that you got this note in time.

See you on Monday- Meghan.

Ah, I hadn't even thought of how the man got in here, I cast him a wary eye.

"Ok then, follow me through and I'll get you the blood bags." I sighed, now feeling slightly apologetic for the mishap.

I pushed through a series of doors, down into the basement all the while wishing I'd made the man – whose name I hadn't even caught yet stared into the back of my skull. I even felt him occasionally lightly nudge my mental barrier, which was kind of considered rude in supernatural etiquette.

Reaching the metal twin doors, I placed my hand on the palm scanner and waited patiently for the bleep of approval and green LED to glow. I tugged open the doors, trying to make it look effortless when actually they weighed a hell of a lot, and was greeted by a cold wave of air accompanied by the smell of human blood. Noticing my coffee was still present, I took a swig.

"Isn't it risky to let a vampire have control over so much blood?" he mused behind me.

"Not if they can control themselves." Crowine Rd, the prescription label read, I patted a box indicating him to take it, he did so without complaint and began moving back out and then up the stairs whilst I relocked the doors.

"Dhampir, by the way." I said after catching up on the stair case, moving ahead to hold open the front door for him and then again with his car door- fancy car, I noted- so he could safely place the precious cargo even going as far as strapping it in.

"Are you sure?" he questioned voice wavering, scrunching his face up much like Aiden had earlier today- but less cute, obviously.

"Pretty sure." I gave him an odd look which he mirrored, before slipping into his car and winding down the window.

"Well, good night Dr Louisa." He reached and shook my hand; it was colder than a human hand, colder than mine. One of the characteristics that set our kind apart.

"Good night sir." Nodding politely seemed the best call of action, in place of knowing his name.

I stepped away and waved, a friendly smile lit his face, maybe he was decent after all. But then he revved his engine, causing the whole parking lot to fill with a loud purr.

"You'll wake the neighbours!" I shouted, but I was drowned out by the sound of him speeding away.

On Monday I'll tell Meghan to put any notes for me on luminous yellow paper, that way I won't ever miss one again. But for now I'm going home.