Chapter 1: A New Day, a New School, a New Life

The light bulb flickered to life.

            It's funny how something so complex, so mind boggling amazing, can start with something so simple. Our entire lives boil down to a basic train of events, one leading to the next; however, and this goes without saying, that basic train of events is anything but basic. It's intricate, and strange, and delicate, and it loves to jump tracks suddenly and make changes against the wills of its passengers.

            It's life, it's never simple, but there's one thing no one can deny, the first day at a new school is terrifying. Especially when, like me, that new school is a year round boarding school. The worst part, I had to have roommates. I hate people. I prefer solitude, it allows me to just relax and think. My first day I walk to my room, my bag in hand, open the door and flipped on the light.

            The light bulb flickered to life, and in turn, my entire life changed.

            The light revealed the room which I assumed to be empty, it wasn't. Two boys occupied two of the three beds. One was tall and lanky, wearing a black suit and had jet black, shoulder length hair. He was laying back but jumped up as soon as I turned on the light and strode over to me. He stood a few inches higher than me, he had a large grin and dark brown eyes.

            "Hello there! You must be Alan, charmed!" the tall boy remarked, "I'm Christopher Kingly Fredrick O'Reilly. Most people call me Chris, some Topher, and others Christ, but I'll let you decide." Chris gave me a toothy smile as I shook his hand.

            "This here is Ralph, he doesn't talk much. Thank God, since I'm here I fill in the silence!" Chris said letting out an almost comical laugh.

            "Pleasure," Ralph muttered under his breath. He was a small, stout boy with messy red hair and crystal blue eyes.

            "Question," I say awkwardly, "why were you guys sitting in the dark?"

            "Why not?" Chris answered quickly, "What's the point of being able to see when  there is nothing new to see? Darkness doesn't hinder our ability to perceive, it allows us to get a new perspective. Now, your bed is over here." He took me by the shoulder and walked me to the end of the room.

            "Hope you mind the window, it's the only bed left," Chris stood facing me with his back to the window.

            "This will do just fine," I replied giving him a nod. He remained in the window staring at me with a pensive gaze. I started to unpack my bag, but he remained staring at me.

            "Can I help you?" I asked him.

            "No, it's just, you're... different. Never mind, I'm tired. Good night, Alan." Chris flopped down onto his bed and closed his eyes. I laid down on mine and tried to sleep. It took awhile, but the veil of sleep finally covered my eyes.

             The next morning I awoke to an empty room. I rolled onto my side to turn on the lamp on my end table, that's when I noticed the note. It was hastily scrawled on crumpled loose leaf paper.

                                                Alan~

                                    Ralph and I decided to take a walk in the

                                    school's gardens, the one near the forest.

                                    I would appreciate your company for this