Chapter 8 - Developing Friendships

Lily:

It was the afternoon and the cool September air washed upon Lily's face. She was sitting on a bench in the courtyard, reading ahead on her potions book, while waiting for Severus. He was supposed to be here half an hour ago, but Lily wasn't hugely worried, it wasn't as if Severus was going to stand her up. It was at this moment Lily heard someone running towards her, murmuring "Oh crap, oh crap" under their breath.

She looked up and grinned as she saw Severus running towards her. Severus's run was always so funny to watch. He rarely did it, but when he did it was weird. It was swift, yet somewhat clumsy at the same time. Severus's robes down to his ankles, as well as the books he was holding in his hands did not help him.

"Lily I'm so sorry!" Severs said, panting "I was trying to get to the courtyard like how I had this morning, but then the stairs changed, so I asked Peeves, this ghost, anyway he told me there was a short cut but when I took it I ended up in Flinch's office but James, Sirius and Peter told me to get out so I ran out and..."

"It's okay, It's okay, no need to explain yourself. Similar thing happened to me this morning. I think it's safe to say that Peeves isn't to be trusted, or those three boys."

Severus let out a sigh of relief, and sat down next to Lily.

"I thought we didn't get any homework for potions?" Severus inquired, pointing at the textbook in Lily's hand.

"Oh I know, but it's pretty interesting! There's so much more to magic then the simple tricks, and the fact that we don't have to take math, or any of the other boring subjects is just fascinating"

"Why would you think we needed to take math?"

Lily chuckled "It's just muggle stuff. I tried explaining to Alice but she still doesn't get it."

"Hm, fair point but mind you I will probably be better at paying attention than Alice."

"I don't doubt it. Actually, speaking of the muggle side of me, do you think anyone has noticed?"

"Noticed what?" Severus asked with a confused look on his face.

"Noticed that I'm well... muggle born." Lily looked down. She couldn't help feeling a little embarrassed.

"Lily, Lily, Lily, stop." Severus put his arm around Lily to comfort her "Nobody thinks that, and even if they do, don't let them get the better of you. You are one of the most determined people I know, and you are going to do great things at Hogwarts. Regardless if your muggle born, or half blood or pure blood."

"Thanks Severus, I really needed to hear that" She gave him a smile "I just can't help feeling alone. For the first time in a while I don't know everything."

Severus laughed loudly "What are you laughing at?" Lily demanded, surprised at the sudden change in mood.

"Lily, what the first and second chapter about in the potions textbook?" Severus asked after he finished laughing.

"First chapter is on vocabulary and theory, and the second chapter is on brewing and tools. Why?"

"You just said you don't know everything. Lily, trust me, you know everything, and I mean that in the best way possible. You're going to be more than fine, you're going to be great. You're going to be the most determined witch in this school!"

Lily grinned. Severus was right, she was going to be the most determined witch - nothing could stop her.

James:

"Alright fellas" James said as he stood on his bed, while Sirius, Peter and Remus sat down next to it. "This is the plan - Peter, you're going to walk into Filtch's office, and when he tells you off, Sirius and I are going to walk in with my invisibility cloak, and th-"

"Won't Filch see you moving stuff around, even if he cant see you" Remus said.

Dam, Remus had a point James thought.

"Okay, okay, so new plan. Peter, you'll walk into Filch's office-"

"Why am I always the bait?" Peter inquired

"It's just that you're the most believable." James said

"What does that mean?" Peter asked, clearly offended.

"Okay guys we are getting side tracked." Sirius said, coming to James's defence. "James, please continue."

"Thank you Sirius, as I was saying, Peter is going to walk into Flich's office, say he was lost, and then place his book on Flich's desk - make sure it's over a stack of papers of something -, and try to start a conversation with him."

"Yuck!" Peter said

"Anyway, when Filch asks you to leave, pick up your book, but pick up the papers under your book as well. Then, when you leave, make sure Filch can see you have taken some papers by accident. Quickly walk out, so when he realises he'll have to chase after you. When he calls after you make sure to keep walking."

"Then, Remus, Sirius and I will enter his office and look for some evidence of fun."

"What are we looking for?" Sirius asked, excitement swimming in his eyes.

"I don't know really, but Filch confiscates things so there's bound to be something interesting."

"Alright I'm in!" Sirius said, jumping up.

"Peter? Remus?"

"I'm in if everyone's in." Peter said

The other three boys looked at Remus.

"C'mon Remus" Sirius pleaded

"Ugh, alright, I'm in." Remus said.

James grinned "Right boys, it's time to make a trip to old Filch's office." he said.

✨✨✨

"I can't believe you ran from Filch!" He was so angry at you!" Said sirius, laughing while patting Peter on the back.

The boy's outing to Filch's office was a success. Filch had gotten frustrated at Peter before he had even taken the papers. Filch kept on babbling about "First years." and "Malicious students". To be fair, Filch was not wrong.

After Peter had taken the paper and distracted Filch, James, Sirius and Remus entered his office. They didn't have much time, so they did not even bother searching through his office draws. Luckily for them, they found a pamphlet titled 'Magic for Squibs'. The boys snatched and dashed before he came back, trying to diffuse their laughter.

Now that the four were out of sight, James proudly held the pamphlet.

"This" he said, raising the pamphlet in the air "Is golden!"

The four boys continued to laugh, satisfied with their affair.

It was at this moment that the four walked past the entrance courtyard. James made the mistake of looking in, and what he saw almost made him sick. It was the beautiful Evans, but she had that horrible Severus wrapping his arm around her. Severus had actually come into the office while they were searching, and James was quick to tell him to get lost. James was disgusted. How could she like that? He knew what he had to do. That night, James was going to approach Evans in the common room, and impress her with his charm. Okay, maybe he didn't have charm, but he was definitely interesting, and good looking. Well, at least according to James.