1.

Life was great.

I adjusted the straps of my bikini and smeared my delicate body with sunscreen. I took a sip of my margarita and looked over at the sleeping Ryder next to me. He was so cute, I could die. "Are you having fun, baby?"

He opened one eye, gave me a 'leave me alone' look, and went back to sleep. I don't know how he could sleep so peacefully in this heat. I was currently on vacation in Miami. The weather was sunny, the food was great, and oh...the Cuban boy from the club last night was amazing.

I leaned back into my chair and sighed. It was the summer before senior year. My last summer in the United States. Next summer I will be in Madrid, Spain. I'm going to live and go to college there. They had a great program and I would learn how to live independently. Mom thinks that's really important especially how she never had the chance to study abroad.

I was on vacation with Zahra, my best friend. She's currently still hungover from last night, that's why I decided to come by the pool with Ryder. He is not bad company. Pros of hanging out with him, he does not talk. Cons of hanging out with him, he does not talk. 

I put on my sunglasses and closed my eyes. "Mmhh."

"Ma'am, do you want a refill?" 

I opened one eye and saw the friendly male waiter hovering over me. "Yes, please. Can you also bring me strawberries?"

"I'll be back ma'am."

The pool was not busy today. There were only a few children on the other end and a couple of boys at the table in the corner. I didn't miss how they were staring at me when I walked in with Ryder. I knew they were jealous, because who didn't want to be with Ryder, my handsome boy?

Tomorrow I will go homecoming dress shopping. I know it's just summer and homecoming isn't until October, but I rather am early than late. And if I cannot find the dress I was looking for I can always have it custom-made.

My phone buzzed and I swiped up to see who it was. Zahra.

Z: Where are you?

L: Pool, you?

Z: Toilet

L: Are you still vomiting?

Z: Yes, I will be down in an hour. 

L: Hurry up.

Yesterday we got so wasted at the club we ended up bringing two strangers into our hotel. The disappointment on Ryder's face was so evident, he literally walked out of the room to sleep in the foyer. When I woke up this morning I found him staring outside the window, both the strangers gone. I knew mine was Cuban, because of his accent and all the Spanish words he whispered in my ear.

The waiter came back with my drink and strawberries. "Thank you," I said as I watched him place it on the table next to me.

"Do I need to bring water for him?" He asked as he pointed at Ryder, who was still asleep. I think last night kept him up. 

"No, thank you. He's good."

The waiter walked away and I popped a strawberry in my mouth. It was so juicy. The peacefulness at the pool got disturbed by four boys or should I say men entering the premises. The reason I say men was because they were wearing a suit. Who the hell wears a suit to the pool? They were so loud. Laughing and chattering. They sounded like a bunch of birds.

One of them was holding a water bottle while the others were pushing him from left to right. They were walking in my direction and I couldn't help to scrunch up my nose at them. 

Suddenly one of the men pushed the water bottle man so hard he tumbled a little making his water bottle pop open and spill on Ryder who immediately woke up and wailed. Oh no, he did not!!

"Ryder!" I screamed as I jumped up and pulled him into my arms. "My baby, I'm so sorry, baby."

"She knows your name, man!" One of the men said laughing. 

I turned around to the water bottle guy and gave him a deadly stare. That's when I realized I had sunglasses up so he couldn't actually see it. I placed my sunglasses on my head and stared angrily at him. "Watch where you're going, water bottle man!"

"Do you know me?" Water bottle man asked instead. I gave him a confused look. Know him? I have never seen him in my entire existence. And even if I did, I would remember those black curls and green eyes. And luscious lips. Okay, now I was just swooning over him.

"I don't know you! Why would I know you?"

"Well, you just said my name," He scratched the back of his head. "I'm sorry about your dog. It was just water."

"First of all, it's not a dog. It's my son. And he's a poodle. Second of all, my son has a name. Ryder."

It was silent.

Then the other men busted out laughing. I looked at them eyebrows raised. I knew they were laughing because I called Ryder my son. So immature. But I don't care. "Say sorry to Ryder."

The men started laughing louder.

The water bottle guy just stared sheepishly at me. "I'm sorry about the boys. Your dog's name is Ryder?"

I nodded my head. "Yes, say sorry to him. You will need to make it up to him. You traumatized him."

"Wait, what?" The water bottle guy chuckled. "That's crazy. It was just water."

"Even so, according to google poodles are easily traumatized."

"He looks fine to me," the water bottle guy said, shrugging his shoulders.

"Just because he looks fine from the outside, doesn't mean he is from the inside!" I yelled as I covered Ryder's ear. 

"Is everything alright, Miss Gray?" A waiter who just passed by asked.

"Well, not really. This man here spilled water on my son."

"Wait, are you Lexi Gray?" the water bottle guy asked. "I knew you looked familiar."

"Yes, I am Lexi Gray. Why?"

The water bottle guy looked over at the waiter. "It's fine, everything is covered." He then looked at me. "I will bring your do...I mean son to the vet if you want. To check if everything is okay with him."

I smiled victoriously. "Great, I'll book an appointment for later this afternoon.

"Good." The water bottle guy smiled. "Maybe you should take my number. Call me what time I need to be there."

I grabbed my phone and typed in his number. "What should I save you as?"

"Ryder. Ryder, the human."

Don't forget to Vote, Comment, and Share!