Liz 6 Years Old

Liz was playing outside in the front yard at the apartments where her family lived.  She was playing a game of Tag with her sister Kim, her best friend Toni and a group of other friends who also lived in the apartment complex.  There was always a large group of kids running around playing, it wasn't hard for her to find a playmate.  She always preferred to play with her best friend Toni when she was around.  Toni's parents had gotten divorced, so Toni spent a good amount of time visiting her Dad and his new family.  When Toni was around, they were inseparable.

Mrs. Murray walked over, and hid on the side of the building watching Toni, Liz, Kim and all the other kids play tag.  After a few minutes, she rounded the corner, smiling, and both Toni and Liz ran up and gave her a hug.

"Hi Mom!"

"Hi Mrs. Murray"

"Hello Toni, Liz.  I was watching you play tag, looks like fun.  I was thinking of taking Toni to the zoo today.  You interested in going with us, Liz?"

"Sure, sounds fun.  I gotta ask my parents."
"You guys go play, I'll talk to them."  While the girls ran off to play tag, Mrs. Murray went to talk with her parents. 

"Hi, Jim.  I'm taking Toni to the zoo today, wanted to ask if Liz can go with us?  We were going to ride the train also, and be back here around 4:30 or so."

"That would be fine.  Harmony is out grocery shopping, but I'll tell her when she gets back.  Let me get you some money.  Hang on a second."

Sir, Father started to walk away to find his wallet to offer some money to Toni's Mom, but Mrs. Murray interrupted him.

"Jim, it's ok.  My Ex just sent his back child support payments, so I've got extra right now.  It'll be my treat."

"Well, that's very nice, Thanks.  Have fun."  Then, Sir Father shouted and waved at Liz, "Bye, sweetie.  Have fun!"

Liz, Toni and Mrs. Murray had a fabulous day at the zoo.  She had enjoyed the zoo when she was there last, and she especially loved seeing the elephants.  She always loved watching the show the elephants put on for the zoo guests, and while she wanted to ride the elephants, she was too nervous to get on them. 

"Girls, are you hungry?"

"YES!"  They said in unison.

"Well, let's see what we can find for two hungry girls.  How about hot dogs, chips and a soda?  Is that OK girls?"

"Yes, Mom!"  "Yes, Mrs. Murray!"  The girls said at the same time.

Mrs. Murray bought lunch for the girls at the zoo, and they enjoyed eating their hot dogs, chips and drinking a soda. 

After they finished at the zoo, Mrs. Murray took the girls across the street from the zoo to ride the train. 

"Girls, let's go across the street and ride the train.  It's my favorite thing to do here at the zoo!"

It was a short train ride, but she loved seeing the park, and the beautiful green fields surrounding the zoo, park and horse stables.  When she saw the people riding the horses along the trail, she started daydreaming about riding a horse as well.  Liz never asked her parents if she could ride one of the horses, because she knew they didn't have the money.  She also knew that if she asked at the wrong time, Sir Father would get upset and call her names and threaten to hit her.  So, she never asked; she didn't see the point in asking.
When they got back to Toni and Mrs. Murray's apartment, Mrs. Murray asked Liz if she would like to spend the night.  She was ecstatic!   She had such a wonderful, fun day, and certainly didn't want the fun to end.  It felt so nice being around an adult who didn't always get so mad at her.  She called home to ask permission to stay for dinner and stay the night.