Discovering Discovery

"Alright class, as you can see, both guitar and piano students are here today. That's because we are doing a project. A group of two, one piano and one guitar, will put together an original piece and perform for the class." She announced, causing a wave of charter to erupt from the small class.

"The song you guys do can be about how gay is okay!" Dom whisper-yelled.

"Well, it is due the last week." Zeke looked like he was actually considering the awful idea.

"But we will still have her next year, and then this class will know, then the whole class! Next thing you know, the whole college is picking on us!" I whisper-yelled, trying not to draw attention to us.

"Who cares?" Zeke asked, placing both hands on my shoulders. "As long as I have you, I literally don't care what happens to us. If people pick on us because I'm hella homo and you're pan then to hell with them." I small smile crept on my face. Damn, I love it when he's like this.

"Okay, fine. Let's do it."

~·~·~·

Dom stayed behind to help us with the project, considering he had done the most gay things out of the three of us.

"Dom, I love you to death, but if I have to hear anymore about your orgy with a five year old and your nintey-seven year old priest, I'm gonna puke." Zeke fake-gagged to prove a point. I couldn't stop laughing at how awful the conversation had gotten between us in three minutes.

"Understandable." He shrugged his shoulders and chuckled.

"No orgies, no sex, nothing innapropriate. Just having the word gay in it and the professor will have a heart attack."

"There goes all of my ideas."

"Dom I swear to god."

"Nothing is more gay than gay sex. If you want a gay song, it needs sex."

After hours of Dom wanting to have sex somewhere in the song, we finally finished the lyrics.

"Okay, so for the chords, how about this?" Zeke asked, then started playing the guitar. Instantaneously, inspiration hit.

I pulled up a chair to my new keyboard and started playing in unison with Zeke, adding something here and there until it sounded good.

"You guys make me want to play an instrument."

"Then learn how to play an instrument... like the drums or something." I suggested, thinking about how cool we would look with a drummer.

"Eh. Maybe."

A week later, it was time to preform our song.

"Now, who will like to go first?" Out of nowhere, Dom made Zeke raise his hand.

"Ah, yes, I've been excited about your song." She smiled.

"Um... hi. Me and Blaise made this song, and our friend Dom is going to sing it because we both sound like dying rats." Zeke smiled, then motioned me to start playing.

I prayed to a god I don't believe in for the first time in five years. I prayed I would blank like the rest of my performances and not have to remember the laughter of my classmates or the gasping. I didn't blank.

If you want another way
To live life every day
Well then, here I am to say
That, you should start thinking gay.

If you want to be here
For about a couple years
And never have a single fear
Then I'd say to simply think queer.

What's so wrong about lovin a guy
What's so wrong about looking so fly
Is it really that wrong when someone is Fay
When that someone is really really gay.

Dom sang like there was no one watching, which kind of scared me. I heard snickers come from the class, but I just shut my eyes and took a deep breath.

"That was... something." The professor looked conflicted and disappointed at the same time. I refused to look at her after a single glance. I kept my head down and tried to blank out like I always do.

"I need to see you boys after class is dismissed." She stated sternly, giving us looks I couldn't register.

I looked at my shaking hand, trying to settle my nerves; why am I so nervous?

The professor walked back to her desk, not making eye contact with us. She took a sip, of what I presume is coffee, and sighed.

I waited for words, for actions, anything. She stayed quiet, making my anxiety go through the roof.

"You two are very talented young men," she finally spoke. "so why are you gay?"

"I'm sorry professor, but we can't help it, just like you can't." Zeke sounded slightly offended, which actually scared me for reasons unbeknownst to me.

"I realize that; what I think I'm trying to say is, why tell me?" She asked. I could tell she was trying to be professional, and she wasn't doing a very excellent job since I could tell she was frustrated with us.

"Because we wanted you to know." Zeke sounded more in control of his emotions. Only then did I realize how bad I was. Shaking in my boots for almost no reason. I had no reason to be so anxious.

"Well, I can accurately say you are brave," she looked to Dominic, a look of curiosity overtook her expression. "you, are you gay too?" She asked. I looked to Dom and saw him making a face of hurt and disgust.

"You can't tell?" He asked, his voice higher pitched than normal. I chuckled, relieving some of the tension in the room.

"Of course you are." She smiled at him, then grabbed some paperwork from her desk and gave it to him. "Fill those out and bring them back promptly, I'd like to show you off."

He grabbed the papers; quickly flipping through them. Without visible reason, he started squealing and jumping around. Out of no where he did that weird European thing where they kiss you on both cheeks to the professor. As we left he shouted chabello at her which made me cry laughing.

We returned to our dorm to find one of our beds was converted into a bunk bed- which means they bolted another bed on top of Zeke's bed, which he doesn't even sleep on. I watched Dom jump all over the slightly cramped dorm, giggling and smiling the biggest smile I've ever seen.

"Congrats on the scholarship man!" Zeke exclaimed, hugging while jumping with him. Dom hugged back tightly, and a small hint of jealousy shot through me. I dismissed the feeling, and sat down on my bed and grabbed my laptop.

"Are you going back to Spain to get your things or is it going to be shipped?" I asked, taking a sip of a strawberry smoothie on my nightstand and typing, all while never looking from the screen. Suddenly the energy in the room changed; the air grew cold and an eerie silence insued.

"I can't go back there." He said quietly, letting go of Zeke. He stood staring at Dom with a sympathetic look I've only seen him wear once.

"Mother married Father Vincent."