Answers

Broken Prince

Disclaimer: If you recognize it then I don't own it.

Summary: A match in the past leaves a then ten year old Ryoma Echizen with several permanent health issues that leave many questioning rather the Prince of Tennis can even continue playing. When Ryoma moves to Japan he knew hiding those injuries from Seigaku was going to be hard and that being caught was not an option. Why can't he just play tennis?

Chapter five: Answers

-- POV Yukimura ---

"Why are you in such a rush Boya?" I ask, seeing Akaya rush to get home after practice even though he usually is one of the last ones ready to leave.

"There's a documentary interview on America's Demon showing in a little while. It's going to be showing at least clips from each of his matches through the years and actually play through the more important ones!" The second year says excitedly, glancing at the door and bouncing on his heals as if he were about to do his split-step. I have no clue who the boy is talking about and I really don't care, but it gives me a reason to keep Gen away from Atobe...

"That sounds like a great team bonding activity." My team, who wasn't really paying attention to the conversation before suddenly all tense at the last three words to leave my lips. I don't know why I get so many complaints about the things we do as a team. After all, I always plan them with Syuu and he loves them. Usually wishing that Tezuka would let their own team participate in something simular. I pretend not to see their relief when Akaya quickly fills them in on what I had just signed everyone up for this evening and Gen's protests are quickly covered up by Renjji and Niou. The data master sending my fukubuchou and boyfriend a look that says 'Not a word' as he says that this is a great idea and starts listing off the statics around it. My trickster however, taking a more physical approach, covers Gen's mouth with his hand. Smiling, I overlook their antics, they are after all playing in my favor.

--- Time Skip ----

America 's Demon turns out to be a twenty year old college student named Daniel Wilkans. He's six foot tall with short blond hair and green eyes, attractive if not for his personality really. But not my type. Maybe Gen's though, since I keep drawing parallels between this Wilkans guy and Atobe...

Anyway!

Obviously, he's a demon player like Akaya (which is probably why the boy was so interested in him to begin with) and had won several medals, titles, and gotten pretty far in some of the major tournaments. Almost winning the French and American Opens two years in a row.

The match rerun clips  started and it was amusing to see how the man had grown. If it wasn't playing in front of me I wouldn't believe that that six year old running after the ball would grow up to be sending people running to the hospital. The biggest surprise happens when the interview gets around to showing what his fans had voted as his best match in high school. My opinion of him drops when the hostess says that the match was against an elementary student.

The entire team goes into shock when we see a familiar ten year old boy walk  onto the court wearing his signature white Fila cap. A sinking feeling enters my stomach as my mind registers the appearance off Syuu's little Kitten on the screen. The freshman prodigy that had recently defeated Gen back in Kento. This may have been the Demon's' best match... 

 ... But it was the Prince's worst...

--- Fuji POV ---

Viper latches onto Momo's arms, holding him back from actually jumping Ryo-chan. The place is in chaos and almost everyone is stressed and screaming. Ryo-chan taking the opportunity NOT to answer the question.